Basic questions about VSM

Innes

If the Picaxe VSM does what I think it does, it seems to be amazing value for money. Before I commit, could someone confirm that I fully understand the purpose(s) of the software.

1) Design circuits on-screen utilising Picaxe chips and other components in the provided library.
2) Design non-Picaxe circuits using components in the provided library
3) Simulate the circuits with various inputs/outputs
4) Write code for the Picaxe circuits and run it on the simulated Picaxe circuits.
5) Use the provided virtual instruments to test circuits.

I'm looking at fairly simple circuits (both with and without Picaxe), both to improve my own (currently very basic) electronics knowledge and to get my children interested in building circuits.

I have downloaded the demo, but have found it somewhat limited. It would have been good to have a time-limited demo which allowed the creation of limited circuits of, say, half a dozen or so components.

At approx £60 including VAT, Picaxe VSM seems like a bargain if it does all the above; it means that one can design, build and test circuits without purchasing any components. Once the circuit(s) have been designed, the relevant components can then be ordered so the circuit can be built. The 'building blocks' of electronic circuits could be learned without purchasing any components.

Can the VSM software download the code to Picaxe, or does the code need to be copied to the standard software for downloading to the Picaxe?

I also have a couple of questions about licencing:

1) Can Picaxe VSM be installed on, say, the licence owner's desktop and laptop as long as they are not used concurrently?
2) How easy is it to move the licence to another PC? I plan to 'rebuild' my PC in a few weeks and don't want the hassle of transferring licences.
3) What happens in the event of a hard disk crash? Does reinstallation on a replacement drive require anything more than reinstalling the software and providing the key?

Thanks for any help that can be offered with the above.

Boondocker

I've been pleased with the program as a hobbyist and I think it is a good value. A great way to learn and troubleshoot my breadboard projects.

As far as operating the program, the simulation uses the actual picaxe .bas program file. Just link the mircochip to the program thru a browse.

One of the limitation of the VSM is using PWM & frequency functions. It draws a lot of CPU capacity and will slow then stop simulation.

Waiting for the update that includes the newer M2 chips.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Before I commit, could someone confirm that I fully understand the purpose(s) of the software.

Yes to all

I also have a couple of questions about licencing:

1) Can Picaxe VSM be installed on, say, the licence owner's desktop and laptop as long as they are not used concurrently?
2) How easy is it to move the licence to another PC? I plan to 'rebuild' my PC in a few weeks and don't want the hassle of transferring licences.
3) What happens in the event of a hard disk crash? Does reinstallation on a replacement drive require anything more than reinstalling the software and providing the key?

Thanks for any help that can be offered with the above.
1) yes, as long as they are both yours and only one is in use at any time.
2+3) just keep the registration key that is emailed to you, plus the installer download from the website, on a backup CD. You can then reinstall anywhere.

What you can't do is use an out of date code (ie a code that is over a year old, as one year of updates is free) with a new release unless you renew (£15). Therefore keep the installer you use with the key within the first year, and you can still always use that version for ever.