Axepad not working on Linux Mint

RNovember

Hello, I thought I would finally bite the bullet and install AXEpad.

I followed the instructions on http://www.picaxe.com/docs/pad001.pdf, but the link on my desktop refuses to open anything.

I am using Linux Mint version 19.1

The version of axepad is the newest: LinAXEpad for Linux (v1.5.1 for x386 with GTK2.8+)

Are there additional steps that are needed for linux mint (the pdf was for ubuntu)?

The folder I extracted it to is a hidden folder, does that matter?

I made sure it has executable permissions.

Thank you

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The folder I extracted it to is a hidden folder, does that matter?
Possibly. First thing to do would be to open a command shell terminal, go to the folder you installed into, and try launching AXEpad from there. -
Code:
./LinAXEpad
That's dot-slash-LinAXEpad - case is significant.

That may show errors which any desktop is silently discarding - which they unfortunately have a tendency to do.

I know AXEpad has worked under Mint but I cannot off-hand say which version that was. The most likely issue these days is that AXEpad is a 32-bit program and distros tend to be 64-bit and don't include 32-bit libraries by default these days.

RNovember

That may show errors which any desktop is silently discarding - which they unfortunately have a tendency to do.
Actually, the error that shows up is:
Code:
bash: ./LinAXEpad: No such file or directory
I did try changing the folder it was in to not hidden, but it didn't run any better.

This distro is 64 bit. That may be the problem.

kfjl

It looks like you're not in the right directory.

Try opening the directory where you put LinAXEpad then right-click on an empty space in the directory window. In the pop-up menu, select "Open in a terminal" (or whatever it is in english) and then type ./LinAXEpad in the terminal.

You should get some more usefull error messages, or if you're very lucky and the 32-bit libraries you need are already installed, the LinAXEpad window!

This used to do the trick to get the 32-bit libraries, but that was a while ago:

sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0:i386 libcairo2:i386 libpango1.0-0:i386 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0:i386 libstdc++6:i386

Post the errors you get.

RNovember

I am running linux off of a flash drive that doesn't work correctly, so that may be the reason that the LinAXEpad file doesn't seem to exist. I have made sure I am in the right directory.

Also, installing 32 bit libraries doesn't seem to work either (404 errors).

I will just keep using the Picaxe programmer on Windows (the only reason I have windows in the first place).

billhayley

I am running Linux Mint Cinamon and had the same problem until i ran the code in nfjl reply opened the terminal and copied the code into root directly and worked strait away thanks. I had tried everything else. One alternate is to use a 32 bit version of mint which is available and allows axePad to work.

RNovember

I decided to look into this again, and after some looking around on the internet, I found this command that seems to work.
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
Now LinAXEpad works just fine.