AXE27 cable problem.

sghioto

My download cable is not working but checks OK using the "TEST PORT" option.

When trying to download get "error- Hardware not found on COM5"

"Check Firmware Version" gives same error.

Computer is operating on Windows 10.

Device manager says working and drivers up to date. AXE27 on COM5

Battery power at 4.8VDC

Computer has been restarted several times.

AXE27 uninstalled and reinstalled.

Tried several known working 08M2 chips.

When trying to download, the serial input pin(2) reads a steady 4.8VDC and the serial output pin(7) gives a quick data burst that will blink a LED three times.

Any suggestions and/or is the cable defective?

AllyCat

Hi,
My download cable is not working but checks OK using the "TEST PORT" option.
When trying to download, the serial input pin(2) reads a steady 4.8VDC and the serial output pin(7) gives a quick data burst that will blink a LED three times.
So the "Test Port" correctly echoes back characters when a "paper clip" link is made between the AXE27 plug sleeve to ring, and PICaxe Leg2 is zero volts, except when activating the download?

That suggests a bad connection (open circuit) between PICaxe Leg7 and the sleeve/screen of the AXE27. Check that very carefully, preferably with a multimeter (on the ohms range, when the chip is not powered). Also, have you tried the "Hard Reset" procedure (ensuring that the PICaxe supply pin really is at zero volts when the download starts) just in case the "Known Working" chips have been programmed with a DISCONNECT or SERRXD command. And did you completely Shut Down the PC, wait, and then Switch On, rather than the simple "Restart" option?

In my experience, the Hardware Not Found is nearly always caused by a bad connection, use of the Disconnect command, or particularly, a "bad" power supply voltage, and occasionally a "misbehaving" PC.

Cheers, Alan.