AXE210 PCB Artwork

nick12ab

I know there used to be a PCB Wizard PICAE library but I can't find this on the picae.com site so it's probably been removed. Maybe had something to do with the makers of PCB Wizard releasing a rival product. But I don't think it had board layouts anyway.

Rev-Ed tend to(/do?) not release their PCB layouts except for when it is a derivative work and the original license requires that it is open source (e.g. AXE041).

If you already have the board then you can painstakingly recreate it. Or just create your own version according to the schematic in the datasheet then there's no issues with copyright if this is for a commercial project.

nick12ab

Really, you can copy their circuit and use it for commercial gain ?
Is there any alternative, except for not using Xbee or PICAXE? It's not like it's made out of a large number of discrete components just like an actual integrated circuit where there would be copyright issues, it's just a wireless module made by another company, plus a PICAXE.

Perhaps you could replace all resistors with resistors of double the value.

JoeFromOzarks

Just so everyone understand my intent, it is to service an assembled AXE210 board, not copy the design and/or flip it for commercial purposes. In all of the years I’ve been dealing with the electron, rarely does reverse engineering hardware or software prove to be anything more than a learning experience – not do it - unless as a last-resort servicing technique. (“Some” reverse engineering is required when servicing, rarely do production circuits match schematics anyway.) When designing, starting from scratch is my preferred method.

As far as Rev Ed’s business model, I respect their intellectual rights. It’s their toys and they get to make the rules. I’m simply trying to make my life easier in getting this AXE210 working for a friend.

:) joe

srnet

As far as Rev Ed’s business model, I respect their intellectual rights. It’s their toys and they get to make the rules
Me too.

Maybe there is some back channel information we are not aware of, but my assumption would be that the copyright of Rev Eds designs and circuit diagrams they publish stays with them.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Maybe there is some back channel information we are not aware of, but my assumption would be that the copyright of Rev Eds designs and circuit diagrams they publish stays with them.
Basically yes but no one has anything to fear in using the circuit diagrams for their own personal use.

The actual law is a little complicated, depends on jurisdiction, and even where copyright may not be enforceable it can be that the circuit from those circuit diagram is still protected. Have a look at Mackie v Behringer, with a synopsis here ...

http://www.kstrode.co.uk/news/NewsDet.asp?RID=45&NewsType=Current

If help is needed with any of our boards or circuit diagrams, we will be pleased to help where we can. And if anyone does have any commercial worries on what they are planning, concerns about stepping on Rev-Ed's toes; just ask.