AXE134Y program issues

Ninja MacNinja

Hi,

I am fairly new to PICAXE programming and Im having an issue with a piece of code.

I have bought the AXE134Y OLED display as I plan to use it in a project. This issue I am having is with the test command below. It comes up with a syntax error, which is also below.

Command
init: pause 500 ; wait for display to initialise
main: serout B.7,N2400,(254,128) ; move to start of first line
serout B.7,N2400,(“Hello!123”) ; output text
end

Error:
serout B.7,N2400,(“Hello!”) ; output text
^
Syntax error on line 3 at/before position 18

Error: Illegal character: ((0xFFFFFF93))

Is there some sort of firmware that needs to be downloaded onto the chip before I can use it? As I said I am fairly new to PICAXE having only used (barely) Assembly Language. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

oracacle

what character are you typing for the speech marks?

I dropped your code into the editor and got the same error, changed them for shift+2 on a UK keyboard and it syntax checked fine

so you get
serout b.7,N2400,("Hello!123")
even here my speech marks seem to display differently than yours. There is some other symbol you have used for some reason.

Code:
[color=Black]init: [/color][color=Blue]pause [/color][color=Navy]500 [/color][color=Green]; wait for display to initialise
 [/color][color=Black]main: [/color][color=Blue]serout B.7[/color][color=Black],[/color][color=Blue]N2400[/color][color=Black],[/color][color=Blue]([/color][color=Navy]254[/color][color=Black],[/color][color=Navy]128[/color][color=Blue]) [/color][color=Green]; move to start of first line
 [/color][color=Blue]serout B.7[/color][color=Black],[/color][color=Blue]N2400[/color][color=Black],[/color][color=Blue]([/color][color=Red]"Hello!123"[/color][color=Blue]) [/color][color=Green]; output text
 [/color][color=Blue]end[/color]
Edit:
did you by chance use alt+0147 and alt+0148. really need to learn alt codes but struggle to find the use for it these days.

johnlong

Hi
I also dropped your code into editor got no syntax errors passed
and simulated ok without altering anything.
Are you using the latest version of editor just a thourght
What chip are you using
It tested ok for a 18m2,28x2 and 40x2
Have you looked back to see if you have a typo
in your editor code.
regards
john

neiltechspec

It is the strange speech marks.

PE5.5 doesn't even display those characters as anything like speech marks.

Yours are $93 and $94 or dec 147 and 148 (left & right double quotation marks).

The correct ones are $22 or decimal 34 (double quotes or speech marks).

Neil

Circuit

Yes, I get the same error in PICAXE Editor 6.0.8.7 when I copy in your code. If I type it in then all is okay.
The issue is that you are using opening and closing quote marks; “ and ” instead of the generic ".
As Oracacle indicates, you generate the opening and closing quote marks using Alt+0147 and Alt+0148. The generic text mark " is generated by Alt+034.
“ and ” are extended ASCII characters, not part of the standard 0-128 character set and that is why they are troublesome. This suggests to me that you may be generating your code with a word processor such as Microsoft Word which will automatically turn the " mark into “ and ” as you start and end a quotation.