axe133y oled display kit

peter howarth

I have recently purchased the axe133y oled display kit, have put it together, the oled display displays the default picaxe www oled massage when it powers up, I have 100% successful communication with the 18m2 adaptor board on the rear of the oled board, I have tried the test picaxe program code , but the default message WILL NOT CHANGE.. What is the postal address for sending the whole axe133y kit to picaxe/revolution education in the uk, for testing the this brand new oled kit.. Regards Peter

AllyCat

Hi,

How have you attempted to change the Default Message? By editing the Test Program (in which case post your edited version of the program here), or by sending commands at 2400 baud, of the form: 254 , 128 , 253 , 2 , to the Serial Input (RX = C.5) of the board?

Cheers, Alan.

peter howarth

Hi,

How have you attempted to change the Default Message? By editing the Test Program (in which case post your edited version of the program here), or by sending commands at 2400 baud, of the form: 254 , 128 , 253 , 2 , to the Serial Input (RX = C.5) of the board?

Cheers, Alan.
i simply used the picaxe printed picaxe program test code listing on page 2 of the instruction sheets to type in hello123 text to appear on the screen, but the screen does not change from its default power up screen message of serial oled www picaxe .com.. i expected that the text of hello123 would appear on the screen, but no it wont.. i was recommended to use the genuine axe133y oled kit, but i am no further ahead..i have used the 3.5mm programming socket of the 18m2 for programming communication from my laptop to the axe133y kit, the comms work fine, but again the default message will not change..Alan do you have the postal address for sending the axe133y kit to rev.ed in the uk, for testing the axe133y kit?

1968neil

Peter,

Try this first,

Code:
Symbol OLEDPin= B.3   ; Sets Picaxe output Pin (Change to suit your output pin)
Symbol Baud = N2400   ; Set Baud rate for OLED

init:

pause 2000 ; wait for display to initialise

Main:

serout OLEDPin,Baud,(254,1)         ; Clear display
serout OLEDPin,Baud,(254,128)       ; move to start of first line
serout OLEDPin,Baud,("Hello World") ; Display hello world
pause 1000                          ; wait 1000
Pause 500                           ; Pause 500
serout OLEDPin,Baud,("Im Working") 
Pause 1000
Goto Main

1968neil

It sounds like a software issue and if the display is showing the default messages it should be ok.......
If the code above works ok then you would need to edit the firmware on the 18m2 on the oled driver board.
If you are unsure how to do this let me know and ill post an edited tested version that you can upload and try :)

Contact Details
Telephone:
+44 (0)1761 430044Address:
Revolution Education Ltd
Unit 2 Industrial Quarter
Bath Business Park
Foxcote Ave, Bath
BA2 8SF
UK

1968neil

i simply used the picaxe printed picaxe program test code listing on page 2 of the instruction sheets to type in hello123 text to appear on the screen, but the screen does not change from its default power up screen message of serial oled www picaxe .com.. i expected that the text of hello123 would appear on the screen, but no it wont.. i was recommended to use the genuine axe133y oled kit, but i am no further ahead..i have used the 3.5mm programming socket of the 18m2 for programming communication from my laptop to the axe133y kit, the comms work fine, but again the default message will not change..Alan do you have the postal address for sending the axe133y kit to rev.ed in the uk, for testing the axe133y kit?
having just re-read your initial posts....

I am assuming that you are connecting your picaxe chip to the display board via the 3 pin Header ?
The 3.5mm socket on the display is for updating the firmware and not for sending the data too..........
Can you clarify first ?

Regards
Neil

peter howarth

I am assuming that you are connecting your picaxe chip to the display board via the 3 pin Header ?
The 3.5mm socket on the display is for updating the firmware and not for sending the data too..........
Can you clarify first ?

Regards
Neil
Thankyou Neil, i will give your programming code a go, but to clarify what I have tried so far, with trying to obey the somewhat vague instructions from the axe133y picaxe website etc, I have tried the picaxe test programming code, by what I thought is the correct method of plugging the usb to 3.5mm plug cable into the 18m2 3.5mm socket OF THE axe133y kit adaptor board that lives on the back of the OLED display unit, however the default display power up message text of :serial oled www.picaxe.com does not change at all.. A question that I now have is how did rev.ed actually install this "default" message onto the oled display in the first place, what method did they use? I have noticed that on the adaptor board behind the OLED DISPLAY BOARD, the 3 pin header labelled H2, there is the pin C5 , is this C5 pin to be connected to an external picaxe device , be it another 18m2, or otherwise, to a serial out pin of any external picaxe micro, because the schematic diagram that is part of rev.eds instructions is very confusing, it has a pin marked B7 ???????????? I wish I could send you photos of my board and setup, but the forum doesnt allow it..I will now try your coding.. Regards Peter

peter howarth

Can you clarify first ?

Regards
Neil
So do I connect an external 18m2 of which output pin? to connect to the C5 labelled header pin of the H2 header that is on the adaptor board that lives on the back of the OLED display, and then try your programming code list? Regards Peter

AllyCat

Hi,
.. how did rev.ed actually install this "default" message onto the oled display in the first place, what method did they use? ....
They pre-programmed its 18M2 with the program code linked from the "shop" page HERE. The "default" text is just after line 50, which can be edited and downloaded via the 3.5mm Programming socket , if you wish to change the "boot up" text.

... the schematic diagram that is part of rev.eds instructions is very confusing, it has a pin marked B7 ????????????
A problem is that the AXE133 can be used in several different ways, but the "normal" (and easiest) way is to send control codes and text from any other PICaxe into its Main header socket (H2). Note that the diagram does NOT say "pin marked B7" it says: "OUTPUT for example (e.g.) B (dot) 7" (i.e. a Port . Pin identifier). That should work with any PICaxe that has 18 or more pins, but would need to be changed for smaller PICaxes like the 08 and 14M2. IMHO the instructions are quite clear in saying:

"Main Header H2 (IN, V+,0V)
The main header provides connection for the power supply (4.5V or 5V DC on V+). The pin marked IN connects directly to the controlling PICAXE output pin. Do not connect via a Darlington driver buffered output on a project board - always connect directly to the PICAXE pin."

Typical program code for the "controlling PICaxe" is shown immediately below the diagram, or Neil has given a more complete version in post #4 above. Any "convenient" Output pin can be used that supports the SEROUT command, just configure the program accordingly.

Cheers, Alan.

Last edited:

peter howarth

Hi,

They pre-programmed its 18M2 with the program code linked from the "shop" page HERE. The "default" text is just after line 50, which can be edited and downloaded via the 3.5mm Programming socket , if you wish to change the "boot up" text.

A problem is that the AXE133 can be used in several different ways, but the "normal" (and easiest) way is to send control codes and text from any other PICaxe into its Main header socket (H2). Note that the diagram does NOT say "pin marked B7" it says: "For example (e.g.) Pin B (dot) 7". That should work with any PICaxe with 18 or more pins, but would need to be changed for smaller PICaxes like the 08 and 14M2. IMHO the instructions are quite clear in saying:

The main header provides connection for the power supply (4.5V or 5V DC on V+). The pin marked IN connects directly to the controlling PICAXE output pin. Do not connect via a Darlington driver buffered output on a project board - always connect directly to the PICAXE pin."

Typical program code for the "controlling PICaxe" is shown immediately below the diagram, or Neil has given a more complete version in #4.

Cheers, Alan.
Thankyou Alan , just out of curiosity, what country are you in at the moment.. ? The power and ground pins I have already worked out, not a problem, the input pin C5 I also worked out, but unbenowns to me in the early days I wasnt supposed to use the 3.5mm socket of the adaptor board that has the C5 input pin, as the way to get my own text showing.. Lets put my honest mistake behind us..I have just sent some photos thru, no idea if they have successfully ended up for viewing on the forum.. If I were to use a 28x2 device what pin of the picaxe 28x2 do I use to serial out to pin C5 of the OLED kit, as one example.. If I were to use a picaxe 08m what pin of the picaxe 08m do I use to serial out to pin C5 of the OLED kit , and so on and so on.. Once I know what serial output pin to definitely use from any picaxe capable chip, then the typical program code shown on page 2 of the original oled kit instruction pages would probably work.. Regards Peter

Aries

The Picaxe manual 1 (https://picaxe.com/docs/picaxe_manual1.pdf) has diagrams and descriptions of all the pins of all the picaxes. Any Picaxe pin described as OUT (e.g. C.1, C.2 on 08M2, any PORT.PIN on a 28X2, although I wouldn't use A.4 which is for sertxd and programming) can be used for serial out. You cannot use any pin described as IN (only) (e.g. C.3, C.4 on 08M2). You specify which pin you are using in the code.

peter howarth

Hi,

A problem is that the AXE133 can be used in several different ways, but the "normal" (and easiest) way is to send control codes and text from any other PICaxe into its Main header socket (H2). Note that the diagram does NOT say "pin marked B7" it says: "OUTPUT for example (e.g.) B (dot) 7" (i.e. a Port . Pin identifier). That should work with any PICaxe that has 18 or more pins, but would need to be changed for smaller PICaxes like the 08 and 14M2. IMHO the instructions are quite clear in saying:

Typical program code for the "controlling PICaxe" is shown immediately below the diagram, or Neil has given a more complete version in post #4 above. Any "convenient" Output pin can be used that supports the SEROUT command, just configure the program accordingly.

Cheers, Alan.
so in other words, once i can get a picaxe going say for eg a 18 or 28 that has a few event inputs to choose from ie a few sensors etc, can i then use gosubs containing text to be serially sent to OLED C5 to show eg sensor 4 has low oil, sensor 1 has high temp, sensor 2 rpm too high etc etc etc ?

peter howarth

The Picaxe manual 1 (https://picaxe.com/docs/picaxe_manual1.pdf) has diagrams and descriptions of all the pins of all the picaxes. Any Picaxe pin described as OUT (e.g. C.1, C.2 on 08M2, any PORT.PIN on a 28X2, although I wouldn't use A.4 which is for sertxd and programming) can be used for serial out. You cannot use any pin described as IN (only) (e.g. C.3, C.4 on 08M2). You specify which pin you are using in the code.
Thankyou Aries, i thought that was the case, so instead of B7 , unless its b7 on the chip that i end up using, its whatever output pin suitable for out or serial out other than the normal 3.5mm prog serial out p[in..??and then i can try neils coding or the original page 2 test code?

peter howarth

Thankyou Aries, i thought that was the case, so instead of B7 , unless its b7 on the chip that i end up using, its whatever output pin suitable for out or serial out other than the normal 3.5mm prog serial out p[in..??and then i can try neils coding or the original page 2 test code?
Once i get this programming step conquered, would the same adaptor board thats on the 16 x 2 oled kit work for a 20 x 4 oled display unit??

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
As has already been explained by direct email to this user, the fault is with the user's circuit. You cannot use the AXE027 to enter the 'input' pin of the AXE133 (via a switch). You must connect a different 18M2, it's output pin directly to the AXE133Y input pin and program that chip.

peter howarth

As has already been explained by direct email to this user, the fault is with the user's circuit. You cannot use the AXE027 to enter the 'input' pin of the AXE133 (via a switch). You must connect a different 18M2, it's output pin directly to the AXE133Y input pin and program that chip.
just sent a photo screen shot of the result of trying to download the picaxe program test code,of page 2, into an EXTERNAL 18m2 : physical pin 2 , labelled as serial out C3, which is connected to the C5 pin of header H2 of the oled axe133y kit, now it decides to dummy spit this syntax error, can anyone give a reason as to why ? regards peter

peter howarth

Peter,

Try this first,

Code:
Symbol OLEDPin= B.3   ; Sets Picaxe output Pin (Change to suit your output pin)
Symbol Baud = N2400   ; Set Baud rate for OLED

init:

pause 2000 ; wait for display to initialise

Main:

serout OLEDPin,Baud,("Hello World") ; Display hello world
pause 1000                          ; wait 1000
Pause 500                           ; Pause 500
serout OLEDPin,Baud,("Im Working")
Pause 1000
Goto Main
Neil, your code has successfully downloaded into my external 18m2 that is later connected to C5 input pin of the OLED kit, however , for reasons that I cant fathom, the OLED display simply does not light up at all, nothing whatsoever to do with your coding, I have actually tried the picaxe test program before yours , and although it dummy spits with a syntax error, the oled display didnt light up with it either.. I can still do a check -picaxe -connected test with the 18m2 of the oled, and it passes the firm ware test ok.. Just when I was getting somewhere , the OLED display itself appears to have died anyway, and yes there is 5 volts and ground on the necessary pins of the oled display board itself.. I have ordered another OLED kit, hopefully it wont fail prematurely.. Is it possible to accidently program a "blanking" code into it without knowing ?

Flenser

Peter,
Your picture does not show what setting you have for "PICAXE Type" in PE but you will get this syntax error if your setting an older chip and not "18M2".

When I explicitly specify the PICAXE chip as an 18M2 like this your code verifies successfully:
Code:
#PICAXE 18M2
init: pause 500
main: serout C.3,N2400,(254,128)
    serout C.2,N2400,("Hello!123")

peter howarth

look carefully at your 254,128 - look at the wrong bracket on the end !.
point taken, Clive did write mention that the brackets need to be straight brackets, yes i made an honest mistake, however the page 2 instructions clearly show curved brackets, not straight, that aside, i have a completely blank extinguished oled screen at the moment, clive suggests having to restore the contents of the oled 18m2, using a file very similar , if not the same as the samples:eek:led axe133 file in pe6, however it also spits the syntax error dummy out, dont know why, anyone got any clues? can anyone send a screen shot of changes that i need to make to the samples oled file download file, to remove any possible chance of another syntax error dummyspit? regards peter

peter howarth

point taken, Clive did write mention that the brackets need to be straight brackets, yes i made an honest mistake, however the page 2 instructions clearly show curved brackets, not straight, that aside, i have a completely blank extinguished oled screen at the moment, clive suggests having to restore the contents of the oled 18m2, using a file very similar , if not the same as the samples:eek:led axe133 file in pe6, however it also spits the syntax error dummy out, dont know why, anyone got any clues? can anyone send a screen shot of changes that i need to make to the samples oled file download file, to remove any possible chance of another syntax error dummyspit? regards peter
this is my latest basic setup circuit of my 18m2 outputting serial on b7, to c5 of header h2 of the oled display unit, once i get the blank fault of the oled sorted, clive suggests restoration code similar to the pe6 samples oled code, then i will try the axe133y kit instructions test code, is my circuit correct? regards peter

tmfkam

You don't seem to have removed the comment from line 12 which is required to *Define* OLED?

Flenser

yes i made an honest mistake
Peter,
You posted a picture of the screen showing your code and the syntax error.
- neiltechspec was kind enough to take the time to investigate your issue and he spotted the mistake you had made and pointed it out to you, something I missed. You had used a curly brace "}"at the end instead of a plain parenthesis ")".
- this is the way the forum works. People post the details of problems that they haven't been able to solve themself and other forum members usually try to help.
- I don't see a single post in this thread criticising you for your mistake. I only see posts from people trying to help.

however the page 2 instructions clearly show curved brackets, not straight
This is true.
- page 2 of the manual has this line: main: serout B.7,N2400,(254,128)
- and when you copied this line into PE you typed in the wrong character at the end.
- So the sytax in manual was 100% correct , wasn't it?

peter howarth

Peter,
You posted a picture of the screen showing your code and the syntax error.
- neiltechspec was kind enough to take the time to investigate your issue and he spotted the mistake you had made and pointed it out to you, something I missed. You had used a curly brace "}"at the end instead of a plain parenthesis ")".
- this is the way the forum works. People post the details of problems that they haven't been able to solve themself and other forum members usually try to help.
- I don't see a single post in this thread criticising you for your mistake. I only see posts from people trying to help.

This is true.
- page 2 of the manual has this line: main: serout B.7,N2400,(254,128)
- and when you copied this line into PE you typed in the wrong character at the end.
- So the sytax in manual was 100% correct , wasn't it?
Anyway i have ordered another IDENTICAL AXE133Y OLED KIT FROM A PICAXE PRODUCTS RESELLER IN MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA, so i can start completely from square 1, at $47.00 for each kit, starting to get expensive, when the first oled kit has a failure rate of %100..this new second kit should arrive this coming week, and hopefully i can try some coding to change the power up message of :serial oled www picaxe.com to whatever text i need to have shown on the display., otherwise i will have to either send this first kit over to the uk for testing, and/or order any future oled kits with preprogrammed text messages that i need ;, directly from rev.ed in the uk.. Also I have very little faith in trusting any of the documentation of ANY PICAXE MANUAL to the hilt ,when I see that someone at rev.ed prints out in writing, on page 1 of the AXE133Y SERIAL OLED ,that a 10 k resistor has the colour bands of brown, black red gold, and i have known the resistor colour backwards for the last 39 years, ; and some people wonder why i continue to ask what seems to them as being trivial dumb questions .. PLEASE.. Regards peter

peter howarth

You don't seem to have removed the comment from line 12 which is required to *Define* OLED?
can anyone please send a photo of their screen that shows what typed programming text appears on their screen for a successful program of their oled unit, be it a restoration coding or a different coding to the serial oled www.picxe.com power=up message, especially where it shows all lines from line 1 to at least 14.. regards peter

Jack Burns

Peter,
I had problems when trying to use a axe133y for the first time and discovered this was down to pause 500 being too short for the screen to fully initialise. I found that increasing the value to pause 1000 really helped.

Before we go any further, please can you verify that you have reloaded the firmware to the axe133y backboard as shown on post #24 and that the comment at the start of line 12 was removed prior to this being downloaded (tmfkan pointed this out in post #27).

So that section should look like this...
Code:
; ********************************************
; Note you must uncomment just one of these two options
; depending on whether you have an LCD or OLED module
#define use_OLED
;#define use_LCD

Next load this example code into your external PICAXE and see if it works. It should display a message on the top line, then count from 1 to 10 on the bottom line, then finally display "Finished" on the top line.

Code:
SYMBOL Display = B.7 ; Pin on external PICAXE used to send data to axe133y

init:
pause 1000 ; wait for display to initialise, found 500 wasn't long enough

main:
serout Display,n2400,(254,1) ; clear display
pause 30 ; now wait 30mS for display to fully clear

serout Display,n2400,(254,128) ; Move to line 1, position 1
serout Display,N2400,("Start Counting") ; output text

; Count from 1 to 10 and display number on bottom line
for b0=1 to 10
    serout Display,n2400,(254,192) ; Move to line 2, position 1
    serout Display,N2400,(#b0) ; output b0 as text
    pause 500 ; short wait before moving on to next number
next b0

; Overwrite top line with new message (long enough to overwrite original)
serout Display,N2400,("Finished      ") ; output text
Note that init: and main: don't need to be in this code for it to work and could be removed if desired.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Jack

Jack Burns

Peter,
I have just downloaded the axe133y default code for the backboard using the link AllyCat provided in post #11. I found the code was already configured for the axe133y as the comment on line 12 had already been removed.

I loaded this onto the axe133y backboard and found the display worked perfectly when driven from an external PICAXE.

Here is the link for the backboard code again (if you should need it).

Regards
Jack

peter howarth

Peter,
I had problems when trying to use a axe133y for the first time and discovered this was down to pause 500 being too short for the screen to fully initialise. I found that increasing the value to pause 1000 really helped.

Before we go any further, please can you verify that you have reloaded the firmware to the axe133y backboard as shown on post #24 and that the comment at the start of line 12 was removed prior to this being downloaded (tmfkan pointed this out in post #27).

So that section should look like this...
Code:
; Note you must uncomment just one of these two options
; depending on whether you have an LCD or OLED module
#define use_OLED
;#define use_LCD

Next load this example code into your external PICAXE and see if it works. It should display a message on the top line, then count from 1 to 10 on the bottom line, then finally display "Finished" on the top line.

Code:
SYMBOL Display = B.7 ; Pin on external PICAXE used to send data to axe133y

init:
pause 1000 ; wait for display to initialise, found 500 wasn't long enough

main:
serout Display,n2400,(254,1) ; clear display
pause 30 ; now wait 30mS for display to fully clear

serout Display,N2400,("Start Counting") ; output text

; Count from 1 to 10 and display number on bottom line
for b0=1 to 10
    serout Display,n2400,(254,192) ; Move to line 2, position 1
    serout Display,N2400,(#b0) ; output b0 as text
    pause 500 ; short wait before moving on to next number
next b0

; Overwrite top line with new message (long enough to overwrite original)
serout Display,N2400,("Finished      ") ; output text
Note that init: and main: don't need to be in this code for it to work and could be removed if desired.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Jack
Jack, i have just made the alteration to the oled 18m2 as per your advice of omitting the colon and dot to the left of the word define in the phrase define oled on line 12, this alteration i made to the sample oled file in pe6, and wulla the original power - up message of serial oled www.picaxe.com is now showing,, thankyou your blood is worth bottling.. now i will try your next coding list and see what happens..Unbelievable, such a small trick can make all the difference..

peter howarth

Jack i did try your code listing however it hiccupped on line 12, count 1 to 10, but i cant see why it did so, please see attached photo..regards peter

peter howarth

Neil , i did try your coding, but sadly it didnt show on the display, just the original power-up message shall try the picaxe page 2 program text and see what that does,regards peter

lbenson

The line, "Count from 1 to 10" is a comment. You left off the semicolon at the beginning, which is an alternative to the single quote for indicating that a comment follows.

peter howarth

The line, "Count from 1 to 10" is a comment. You left off the semicolon at the beginning, which is an alternative to the single quote for indicating that a comment follows.
Thankyou Ibenson, I shall give this another go, always something to learn with this stuff, , anyway I did have a problem with a totally blank display, but have since restored it to the original serial oled www.picaxe.com message, (power-up), anyway thats restored, then I went into the section of changing the power-up message to my own words, which worked ok, now my challenge is to show messages from different input events ie high temp, from one input, low oil from another input, rpm too high from another input etc etc etc.. Regards Peter