AXE117 PCB errors

mikie_121

Has anyone else noticed the mistakes on the AXE117 Project board (with the 14M and ULN2003 driver)?

A student of mine brought one to me for checking because their circuit wasn't working and I see that it has been designed incorrectly. The 0V and V+ tracks are joined together in some places and in other parts of the circuit they are completely reversed.

I will have a closer look later and provide the board model number when I see the student again.

can anyone else confirm these problems?

Link to datasheet.

BeanieBots

Please provide clear photo of BOTH sides of the board.
Please also state when & where purchased.

If this was a 'common' issue, there would be many posts about it.
It's not come up before so 'something else' has happened here.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
With several thousand sold we do not believe there is a main design flaw - where do you think the issue is on the board?

We think you are probably confused by the darlington driver output connections - these are 'open collector' outputs and so outputs do connect between V+ and the output, not between output and 0V. This is totally correct!

Last edited:

mikie_121

I must have (Eating humble pie) had a bad day. I have taken pictures of both sides of the board and superimposed the tracks over the top layer, mirrored of course.

I can not find the supposed errors I found before. The circuit seems to be fine. Sorry. I'll think twice before questioning RevEd again :)

BeanieBots

Thanks for getting back, being honest and posting the pictures.
Most people just don't bother and we never hear about it again.
Feedback is appreciated, which ever way it goes.

mikie_121

I know the soldering isn't great, they are mechanical students who have not done any electrical work before. I'm just thankful they chose the PICAXE system, rather than the Atmel or PIC solutions they were recommended to use by other staff members.
People are so set in their ways that they won't change their opinions even when a simpler and better solution appears before them.

Oh well, enough ranting...

Thanks for the help
Mike