AXE033 messages

banda

It will be obvious that I am a rank beginner. So as not to be found a blind idiot I have spent more than a week trying to find where I am wrong, but I can't. I have copied and varied what is on Page 10 of the AXE033.PDF, which shows how to place a string into one of the 7 addresses available for my data. I'm using a 28X2 chip and an AXE033 serial led.

serout C.0,N2400,(253,1,"Player 1= ") is a line that is supposed to place the given data into the led memory 1.
serout C.0,N2400, (1) is supposed to show it on the AXE033 led.

I can't make it do the job.

I can write directly to the led with: serout C.0,N2400,("Hello!123"), so I must be doing something right.

Would someone write and test a correct method of doing it for me? It might just save my sanity.

Thanks for any positive help.

eclectic

Welcome to the Forum.

Please copy and paste the following program,
keeping 16 characters within the " "

Code:
init: pause 500
serout C.0, N2400, (254,1) ; clear screen

pause 500

main:
 serout C.0,N2400,(253,1,"Player 1        ")
pause 1000

serout C.0,N2400,(253,2,"The final score ")
pause 1000

serout C.0 ,N2400,(1)
pause 100

serout C.0,N2400, (2)  
 pause 100

end
Let us know how you get on.

e

Last edited:

banda

Oh dear. The results were as I have achieved.
The first input about "Player 1 " appeared on the Axe033 screen when it was supposed to be put into memory 1.
From then on the screen was empty.
I can manipulate what appears on the led, but no way can I get out anything that might be in led memory 1 or 2.
I'm pleased in a perverse way that I have company in my difficulty.

Can you or anyone else help me any further? There must be a solution!

westaust55

I think/believe that when you say "led memory" you mean the AXE033 LCD module memory
or OLED module memory if you have the AXE033Y.

banda

Thank you. I have checked, and I should have said LCD, not LED.
I don't know whether my error changes the situation though.

I have checked a number of communications that deal with my difficulty,
but every time I follow a suggestion I end up still unable to read from the LCD's memory.
Is anyone out there able to show me that he/she can do what I cannot?

Maybe it isn't doable. Does Mr Axe033 know the solution, I wonder? How can I contact him?

westaust55

FOr the AXE033, there are no changes available to the firmware as there are for the AXE133 series displays.

Unfortunately I am currently not at home and thus cannot test against my own AXE033 to help you - at least for some hours yet.

Forum members Technical and hippy (both UK based) view this forum regularly and as Rev Ed employees will generally respond if they see a problem/difficulty.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The first input about "Player 1 " appeared on the Axe033 screen when it was supposed to be put into memory 1.
Are you absolutely sure you are using an AXE033 and not an AXE133 ?

This works for me using 28X2 and AXE033 ...

Code:
#Picaxe 28X2

Pause 2000

SerOut C.0, N2400, ( 253, 1, "0123456789ABCDEF" )
Pause 1000

Do
  SerOut C.0, N2400, ( 254, 1 )
  Pause 1000
  SerOut C.0, N2400, ( 1 )
  Pause 1000
Loop

banda

I am very pleased to have you help me also, Hippy.
Unfortunately, even though I used Ctrl C and Ctrl V to transfer your file
only your first line of text appeared, then the screen stayed blank.

On picaxe vsm the line appeared as a division sign (Hex B8) then a space, then your text only up to D.
On Picaxe Editor v6.0.6.2 your whole first line appeared.

I can't think that the beta version would be the cause.
I'm getting so fed up I'm beginning to study about parallel connections rather than serial,
but that's admitting defeat, and way beyond my ability to date.

banda

And yes Hippy, I have checked, and I am using an axe033 and a 28x2 picaxe chip.
I forgot to put this in my earlier post.

banda

Being a beginner causes all sorts of communication difficulties.
I have been under the impression that I am on a PICAXE VSM forum.
I have taken it for granted, but if I'm not, yes, I am learning to use VSM.

westaust55

Being a beginner causes all sorts of communication difficulties.
I have been under the impression that I am on a PICAXE VSM forum.
I have taken it for granted, but if I'm not, yes, I am learning to use VSM.
Many post in the incorrect forum areas and in the absence of any specific reference to VSM folks here though you were working with actual hardware. It pays to be very clear what you are working with.

banda

I've always thought I was in a PICAXE VSM forum.
If I'm not I apologise.
Anyway, doesn't a VSM program do the whole job?
I spent a lot of beer money on it.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
It looks like ec accidentally moved this thread from the VSM forum to the main forum, because it looked like you were using a real part.

We'll move it back.

What you are trying to do will work fine on a real chip. However VSM cannot simulate the embedded LCD messages, because there is no way (simulation method) to maintain them between simulations (ie you write them using one simulation, and then expect them to work in a another different simulation later on, but in reality they have not been 'saved' as each simulation starts new). Also the serial LCD simulation is an original Labcenter part, we cannot edit it's behaviour (as we can with the PICAXE chip simulations).

banda

My thanks to all who tried to help me with my beginner's PICAXE VSM.
It appears that I can't do what I wanted to do with the programme.
I have started to learn how to use i2c on PICAXE VSM, and would you believe
I have already found that I can't do what I want with i2c either.
These are quite basic failings, because I am only a few weeks into the programme and can only work with the very basics.
I shudder to think what I'd find won't work if I progressed.
I am extremely disillusioned, and I feel I have been gulled into paying, for me, a goodly amount of money for a less than satisfying result.
If someone would tell me who to contact I'd deal with them directly, but in any case, thanks to all for helping me.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
i2c works fully on PICAXE VSM e.g. for EEPROMS etc. and other i2c parts such as the DS1307.
Have a look at the i2c tutorial examples (via the Help menu) for some ideas.

However there is no i2c model of the AXE033 LCD, so use it in serial mode instead

westaust55

Do not be disillusioned about the PICAXE system in general.
While the VSM software may not have fully met your expectations there is nothing stopping you experimenting with the real hardware if you have already purchased that.

I personally have never used VSM or similar software and undertake all experiments and coding direct to the hardware.
As your experience/confidence builds up programming can become second nature.