AXE027 software or cable issue

dropdad

I have a Windows 8 (Toshiba) lap top that I'm trying to program a project with. The program is written, syntax okay, and the simulator works. When I try to program my module, I get and error that says: "Cant open Com port 1" I've tried to download the AXE027 download cable software but I'm not sure I have done that correctly either. When I plug the cable into any of the three USB ports, i get a sound from the speakers but nothing on the screen to acknowledge a cable. Its like this computer just doesn't recognize it. This cable was originally used with a MacBook computer and I've programmed 30 plus projects with it, but I’ve had it for 10 years. Could the cable be the problem?

AllyCat

Hi,

You almost certainly don't want "Port 1", which is usually a "physical" (9-pin) port, no longer fitted on (most) PCs. In PE6, click the "Refresh Com Ports" option, probably at Top-Left, and see what is "available" (for PE5 click the "Options"). It will be a different number for each USB port, so might need some trial and error, but PE6 should indicate which (if any) is connected. You don't need the PICaxe connected or powered for this stage, but once you've "found" the USB adapter (AXE027), then (when you try to program or read the PICaxe type) you'll get a "No Hardware Found" message until it is correctly connected and powered.

There are of course other "complications" if the drivers are not installed (correctly). I don't use an AXE027 myself, but there should be numerous forum threads and advice on installing the drivers.

Cheers, Alan.

Flenser

dropdad,

What AlleyCat says is correct.

PE checks the available COM ports, including those created by USB-serial adapters like the AXE027, when it starts up so if PE is already running when you plugin the AXE027 then PE does not know about it.

PE has this "Refresh COM ports" link to update it's list of available COM ports. Try that and see what you get in your list.