AXE027 Installation

Tricky Dicky

Just checking, I have passed on to a friend a seriel to 3.5mm jack lead with the converter lead for use with USB, are the installation instructions the same as the AXE027?

Thanks Richard

Tricky Dicky

If this is a USB010 ( USB-to-9-way ) plus AXE026 ( 9-way-to-jack) the installation is similar but the drivers and how the cable identifies itself are different.

USB010 : http://www.picaxe.com/Software/Drivers/USB010-USB-Adapter-Driver
AXE026 : http://www.picaxe.com/Hardware/Cables/Serial-9-way-D-Download-Cable
Thanks for the advice Hippy, my friend seems to have got the drivers installed I am not sure what he did as he lives some distance from me but I understand things are working correctly. I am right that with the adaptor fitted to the serial lead he does not require the serial drivers since he does not have a serial port on his PC.

Richard

inglewoodpete

The USB-to-serial cable has an interface chip located in the USB plug housing. In every case, this needs an appropriate serial driver to work correctly.

If your friend can check the firmware version of the target PICAXE or programme it, then the correct driver has been installed.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Thanks for the advice Hippy, my friend seems to have got the drivers installed ... I am right that with the adaptor fitted to the serial lead he does not require the serial drivers since he does not have a serial port on his PC.
Windows needs drivers for all USB devices but will often be able to install a driver for itself without user intervention.

If the PICAXE can be programmed, everything would seem to be okay, Windows has done its job.

Manufacturers provide a variety of drivers for their products over time and some may work better with some cables than others. It is possible that Windows will self-install a driver which does not work as well as it should, may produce errors when the cable is used. In those cases it can be necessary to manually install a particular version of the driver.

Tricky Dicky

Thanks again Hippy and inglewoodpete, my friend seems to be getting on well with his first experience of PICAXE, he has already managed the PICAXE version of "Hello World" namely a flashing LED and produced a traffic light sequence so he is well on his way.

Richard

LostLink

Hi I am having trouble installing the AXE027 device drivers. I am running windows 10 home 64 bit . I have tried installing using the axe 027 self installer prior to connecting cable. The installation seemed to work fine, however when the device was plugged in to a usb port for the first and subsequent times the drivers failed to work. In the Windows device manager under properties for the device there were no drivers. Tried to install the drivers manually, still no joy. Has anyone had this problem. (WINDOWS 10 Sucks!)

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

Unfortunately Windows does not always seem to do what it is meant to after running the pre-installer and the best solution is to manually install the drivers as described in the AXE027 installation guide -

http://www.picaxe.com/docs/axe027.pdf

Two important things to ensure for manual installation are -

1) That the files are extracted from the downloaded .zip to a separate directory on disk. If not the files may appear to be seen by Windows Explorer but not by Device Manager.

2) When pointing Device Manager to the extracted directory, the top level directory is selected; the one containing the 'amd64' and 'i386' sub-directories.

Also note that the installation is a two-step process. If the second step is not completed then there will be issues in accessing the installed AXE027 cable.

LostLink

Thank You for your help Hippy I really appreciate your time.
I managed to install the drivers by first uninstalling them. I copied the self extracting driver executable to the 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Revolution' folder on my main drive and installed the driver which initially seemed to install (in fact Windows reported that the drivers installed successfully)but failed. After checking, the device manager reported that device drivers were not found. I placed the manual driver installation files in the 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Revolution' folder and installed manually. Still no joy!!!
I finally located the folder 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Revolution Education\PICAXE Editor\USB Drivers\AXE027'. Installed from this location. SUCCESS Finally!!!

I have been having problems with another USB connected Programmable Pic chip device (USB Data Logger K2572 from silicon Chip Magazine) Not sure if that one will be so easily solved.

(Windows 10 is painfull)