AXE027 installation in Win 2K...

Grogster

Hi folks.
:)

I am using an old Win 2K laptop, and the PE installed fine, and also so did the AXE027 driver utility thing.

When I plug in the AXE07 after having installed the drivers, Win 2K says it has found it, and ID's it correctly, but the following window where it asks to install it fails with the message that it could not find the necessary drivers.

How can that be?

Windoze knows it is there, ID's it correctly, but then says it can't see it or install it, cos the drivers are not installed. :confused:

Anyone got any hints?

EDIT: Nevermind. A little good old fashioned Windoze pointing fixed the problem. I told the driver installer follower window thingy to look in the AXE027 USB Driver folder under Program Files/Programming Editor, and away it went.

Mods can delete this post.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
It's worth leaving the post in case anyone else encounters the same problem.

Windows does do some odd things at time. I recall Device Manager showing the right directory but not finding a file in that directory, using browse to point to the very same directory it was already showing and it then found the file. I've also pointed Device Manager to the right place to find a file only to have it revert to the wrong directory for the rest of the files.

hal9000

I've just returned to PICaxe after a long time away, and went to install everything on my new Win7-64 machine.. even after installing the driver from the site, when plugged in, windows would not link the two. I had the same problems described by the OP here.. I pointed to Program Files (x86) and the Axe027 USB driver folder... and it installed. Yay! Then i opened the PICaxe programming editor and pointed to COM3 (which had the AX027 cable listed) and tried to check firmware.. it did not work..

In device manager i looked and saw a 'USB serial adapter' was also there with an exclamation mark, this must be the controller inside the axe027 cable... clicked to update driver automatically which also failed too. So clicked to browse and the folder location for programming editor/USB ax027 stuff was there, clicked next and it installed. But then my usb mouse freaked out (MS Intellimouse) jumping to the top right of the screen and clicking things, I could not regain control - the cable was plugged into a PIC that probably has some old serial comms program on it, so i disconnected it and mouse was ok again. No matter what i tried, my mouse would freak out if the pic was plugged in.. not good.

I went to move the COM port assignment (from COM3) in case it was a clash that wasn't showing up in device manager (which showed no errors) and it wouldn't let me change it as it said something was using the port.. I figured it was the PICaxe programming editor. It then struck me that this might be involved, so i closed the software, i did not change the com port assignment, i left it at COM3 which is how it was installed. I re-opened the programming editor.. I plugged the cable back into the PIC.. and great, my mouse was not freaking out now. I went to check the firmware version (assuming the previous com3 axe027 setting had stuck - it had) and its reporting the PICaxe under test properly now... so its working finally.

So that was a bit of an ordeal, but i'm back in the hot-seat. Should it have been that tortuous to install on a new win7-64 system?

Grogster

From my own experience, I have found that installing the AXE027 is not as painless as I would have hoped with most USB devices, but having said that, once you DO get it working, it is fine from that point on. Perhaps it is something in the native driver for the hardware used in the AXE027 cable - perhaps not something that RevEd have direct control over, as they will be supplying the driver provided by the people who actually make the USB-serial chip inside the USB plug... All I can say, is that every time I have to install the AXE027 on any computer that needs it, it usually does not go smoothly, and you have to fight it, to make it co-operate. But as I say - once you have done that, it seems to be fine from that point on. Taking my Win 2K issue I posted about, it is fine every time I plug it in now(the AXE027), and always works fine - with any luck, now that you have your one working OK, it will not cause you any more problems. Just remember to always use the same USB socket. If you plug the AXE027 into another USB port, Windoze will try to re-install the driver again, and you will run into another round of those problems, most likely. ;)

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
But then my usb mouse freaked out (MS Intellimouse) jumping to the top right of the screen and clicking things, I could not regain control - the cable was plugged into a PIC that probably has some old serial comms program on it, so i disconnected it and mouse was ok again. No matter what i tried, my mouse would freak out if the pic was plugged in.. not good.
This is unfortunately a problem with Windows detecting a COM port and making the assumption that a mouse or "pointing device" is connected to that port when it is not.

It is not an AXE027 or AXE027 driver issue and can happen with physical RS232 ports.