AXE027 again

Benjie

I do not feel alone!
Here my story with AXE027 similar to many other.
Was editing and testing a code on my MacBook: all ok.
I closed the file and opened another code file and.............BANG! download cable no longer there.
Checked library extensions, no trace.
Checked system information and AXE027 is there twice.
Then close the Picaxe editor, close all applications, reinstall the cable and reboot.
Once restarted check the library extension and there is ProlificUsbSerial.kext.
Check the System Information but the AXE027 is not listed under USB's.
Connect the cable, check again library extensions and system information....no change
Open the editor, load a code, program.................hardware on /dev/tty.usbserial-00002006 not found

Repeat all over again and.........This time it shows-up on the system information after it has been connected.
Start the editor, load a code, program......... hardware on /dev/tty.usbserial-00002006 not found.
I'm stacked!
Let's hope someone explain these mysteries.

Benjie

By the way; I moved to a windows XT and the problem now is exactely the same: removed the editor and re-downloaded both editor and AXE027 installer and followed the procedure as per manual: no way to have the editor finding the cable.
I'm just desperate. yesterday morning all were ok while now it's better to go fishing!

Benjie

After the 5th cable installation on MacBook I checked the HD-Library-Extensions, I open the content of FTDIUSBSerialDriver, the folder MacOS and click the exec FTDIUSBSerialDriver.
Here the result:
Last login: Wed Dec 12 11:14:41 on ttys000
xxxxxxxMacBook:~ xxxxxxxxxx$ /Library/Extensions/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext/Contents/MacOS/FTDIUSBSerialDriver ; exit;
-bash: /Library/Extensions/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext/Contents/MacOS/FTDIUSBSerialDriver: cannot execute binary file
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...saving history... history files...
...completed.

xxxxxxxx=MacBook owner

My opinion is that the AXE027 installation software has a serious problem with MacOS v.10.11

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
My opinion is that the AXE027 installation software has a serious problem with MacOS v.10.11
I don't know about that and am not at all familiar with Mac computers. It does seem that changes in Mac OS 10 have caused problems with things that previously worked and not just when it comes to PICAXE software or cables. For example, and plenty more through a Google search -

https://github.com/nodemcu/nodemcu-devkit-v1.0/issues/2

It seems a common story that some people can get things working while others cannot and the reasons are not at all obvious or easy to determine.

As the AXE027 was working it would seem that installation was okay but something has broken that installation. I am not sure what and don't know what would be the best way to fix things.

I would guess that the "FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext" files are "kernel extensions" and are intended to only be loaded and used by the OS ( or the Linux which underlies it ) and are not intended to be user executable. That would seem to be the case from what the above link suggests.

Unfortunately most people here won't have much Mac OS experience, if any, and not when it comes to more technical aspects. It's very difficult to know what an issue is and what the solution could be when things were working, Apple changes something, and it all stops working as it used to.

Benjie

Thank you Hippy anyway. Be aware though that a similar problem exists with the PC running XT.
Both Mac and PC were working ok. Suddenly without any change on their systems I am forced to stop..
Sad story.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Be aware though that a similar problem exists with the PC running XT.
I wasn't sure what you mean by "XT". If you mean "Windows XP" then it may be that the USB part of the AXE027 cable has been damaged and is not identifying itself to the computer it is being plugged into.

That could explain why it's not working on either but it could also be for two different reasons to why it's not working on the Mac or Windows -

removed the editor and re-downloaded both editor and AXE027 installer and followed the procedure as per manual: no way to have the editor finding the cable.
It may be that you need to manually install the drivers for Windows.

Flenser

Benjie,

If both Mac and PC stopped working at the same time the,n the thing that was common to both would be your AXE027. Our electronics devices are very reliable but, as Hippy points out, they can fail.

As people in the forum are more familiar with Windows PCs it might be easlier for the forum to help investigate the issue there first. If it turns out that your AXE027 is OK then proving that on your Windows PC will eliminate the AXE027 hardware as the cause of your problems on your Mac.

Plug your AXE027 into your WinXP PC. Can you see the FTDI USB to Serial device displayed in Device Manager and is its status OK?
If everything looks OK in Device Manager can you see the FTDI USB to Serial COM port displayed in PE?
If you can see the FTDI USB to Serial COM port displayed in PE then what is the text of the error message when you click "Program":

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
As people in the forum are more familiar with Windows PCs it might be easlier for the forum to help investigate the issue there first
That's very true.

First thing would be; does the PC make any 'bing-bong' sound when the AXE027 is plugged into any USB port on the PC, maybe bringing up an "Installing driver" pop-up.

If it does that means that the PC is recognising the cable, seeing its connection.

Next step, with the cable plugged in, whether it gives a connection sound or doesn't, would be what is showing under Device Manager. Whether any AXE027 PICAXE USB device is shown ( usually under COM & LPT ports or similar ), or there's anything with a yellow exclamation triangle shown next to it ( usually under Other Devices or USB Devices but should be visible no matter which they are under ).

bfgstew

I recently had problems with my PC and AXE027 not communicating. Uninstalled PE6 and reinstalled still unable to talk, tried and tried. Eventually found that just uninstalling PE6 leaves traces in your PC's files and this can glitch it all up. Went through every file after uninstalling and deleted anything that was associated with Rev-Ed, PE6, Axe027........anything!
Reinstalled PE6, downloaded AXE027 driver and followed instructions to the letter.
Worked first time and everytime since.
ALWAYS USE THE SAME USB PORT FOR YOUR AXE027. AS A PRECAUTION TRY NOT TO USE THAT USB PORT FOR OTHER DEVICES.

Benjie

The cable is OK: I used the test provided by the editor.
bfgstew, I will remove from the PC PE using the software installation of the control panel plus all files remaining in the program folder of Revolution Education.
Then I'll re-download the driver and reinstall PE. Will see.........

Benjie

have re-installed PE and AXE027, rebooted, started PE, connected the cable, checked device manager, was not on COM port visible su USB controller, unplugged and re-plugged, now in PORT4 and, selected PORT4 in PE, launched program and......
Hardware not found in COM4!

Benjie

I think there is a driver conflict. I would like to de-install the AXE027 driver to create a clean driver environment and then re-install it; how can that be done?

bfgstew

Did you follow the driver installation instructions to the letter.
Main issue is not unzipping the driver file and instal as instructed.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
That and your other tests seems to indicate that the cable is working. The problem now is that the PICAXE is not seeing a download initiation from Program Editor or the response is not getting back to the PC.

A Hard Reset process should normally resolve that.

Not sure why the cable wasn't appearing as COM4 initially. Perhaps that indicates there is an intermittent fault, or perhaps Windows was taking its time making the device available after connection.

I think there is a driver conflict.
What makes you think that ?

The more information on what you are seeing and experiencing the better we are able to help you.

Benjie

Bfgstew, I keep the driver installer on the desktop to have it handy. Once it failed to work I de-install it on the device manager then I reinstall it and reboot. After reinstall, most of the time it gets a different COM number: 4-5-6 and shows-up as correct COM not always on the same USB socket.

bfgstew

Have you followed the installation instructions for the AXE027 to the letter?
Have you plugged the AXE027 cable in its own USB port before starting PE6?
Confirm you are using a pc running XP?

Benjie

I confirm windows xt.
Before answering about strict conformance to axe027 installation process let me know if it is correct to de-install previous axe027 driver by de-installing it by use of the drop down menu in Device Manager where the axe027 shows-up either on the COMport or in the USB list.
That is what I do to avoid double or triple installations. Hope that is correct.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I confirm windows xt.
Do you mean XP ?

Before answering about strict conformance to axe027 installation process let me know if it is correct to de-install previous axe027 driver by de-installing it by use of the drop down menu in Device Manager where the axe027 shows-up either on the COMport or in the USB list.
Possibly. It removes the device entry shown from the list of installed devices. If that's what you intended to do that would be the correct way to do it.

Whether that is what you should have been doing is a different issue, as is whether that did what you were hoping to achieve,.

That is what I do to avoid double or triple installations.
Whatever you have done does not seem to have been effective if you are getting the AXE027 appearing with varying COM port numbers. That indicates there are multiple instances of the AXE027 drivers installed.

bfgstew

Using the uninstal drop down does whaf it says but.......it leaves traces in the file system. The method I use is as above but then go through the whole file system and delete anything left. This avoids conflict with the reinstallation......according to a senior windows software engineer I had the pleasure to meet.

I am presuming xt means xp?

Benjie

I tried to change the comport as in the manual ie getting in the properties of the COMport in device manager, select advanced and select another COMport. The first time it was saying that port 4 was in use: in fact the cable was connected on port 4. I changed to port 2 but plugging the cable to other sockets was giving a warning with double ding sound.

Benjie

Yes, I meant XP. De-installing the driver I do not know where I can find left traces of it. Where can them be?

Benjie

It is now late. I’ll be back tomorrow in the morning. Lot of appreciation for your willingness to help. Good night.

bfgstew

Therin lies the problem.
You need to go through all your pc's file registries, downloaded files, program files, anywhere......seek and delete anything linked to rev-ed, axe027, pe6. You need to clean everything of the above for the new instal to work. Then follow installation instructions for both PE6 and AXE027 to the letter.

PhilHornby

You need to go through all your pc's file registries, downloaded files, program files, anywhere......
The built-in uninstall mechanisms ought to be sufficient ...

FTDI.jpg

Right-click all the AXE027 entries you can find and choose "Uninstall Device". In the example above, I have two AXE027's connected and each appears as two devices in Device Manager. (So four Uninstall Device's altogether).

The screen print is from Windows 10 - I think Windows XP was fairly similar.

On the subject of Windows XP, Microsoft stopped support for this Operating System 4½ years ago. FTDI have not created any updated drivers for Windows XP since then. It is entirely possible they've not tested their recently released ones on Windows XP.

This page: https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm may contain better drivers for Windows XP, than those bundled with PE6 (I've not checked what PE6 ships Apparently they were always a separate download.)

On that web page, scroll down to "No Longer Supported" and you'll see some for Windows XP,Vista,Server 2003 and Server 2008. They can be downloaded as Driver Packages, or there is a setup program here: https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM20824_Setup.exe

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
On the subject of Windows XP, Microsoft stopped support for this Operating System 4½ years ago. FTDI have not created any updated drivers for Windows XP since then. It is entirely possible they've not tested their recently released ones on Windows XP.

This page: https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm may contain better drivers for Windows XP, than those bundled with PE6 (I've not checked what PE6 ships).
The drivers listed on the AXE027 download page for XP are the drivers to install. These are tried and tested and work with XP. Install other drivers and they may not work and they may create additional problems.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
follow this guide to fully remove everything for a clean uninstall.
I would advise; don't.

If you go hacking around in the registry without understanding exactly what you are doing you will probably just create a bigger mess than you already have. That can soon get you to the only sensible option being to reinstall Windows and everything else.

Flenser

To all,

In post #10 Benjie said
The cable is OK: I used the test provided by the editor.
and in post #11
As I understand things:
  • PE did not report a "Can't open port COMn" error so Windows and PE are able to use the COM4 serial port to start the download.
  • It is PE that has reported the "Hardware not found in COM4" error because it did not get the response back that it was expecting from a PICAXE chip.
At this point the COM port hardware and software appears to be working, or at least not reporting any errors, and so the subsequent uninstalls and re-installs of the driver only seem to be getting the AXE027 setup on this PC back to exactly the same place?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Just to clarify, there is hardly ever any reason to uninstall / reinstall the driver. Most people install it once per computer and forget about it. Windows drivers are generally very reliable and the AXE027 driver is also mature and stable on all Windows versions.

Generally when people are reinstalling the driver they are working around another separate issue, which should actually be be resolved instead. Reinstalling the driver may appear to temporarily solve the problem initially, but in reality the problem is still elsewhere.

Benjie

Thanks to all. I need some time to test all your suggestions. I’ll report back as soon I have a sensible status.

Benjie

Eureka!! the problem was just a faulty 08M2 that was killed by excessive supply voltage:
it was connected to a 8V battery. My fault as usual.
Very sorry to have taken so much of your time. Hope that a day, very improbable, I will help you.
Flenser has illuminated my mind saying the PE msg was "no hardware found" while, in case the COM port is wrong, it would have msg "port COMx not found.
Replaced the 08M2 and made sure the correct supply voltage............all OK.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Glad to hear you have found the problem, solved it, have everything working and thanks for letting us know and being open about what the issue was.

"Hardware not found" does seem to have some people jumping to a conclusion that there is some problem which requires un-installing and re-installing drivers and/or PE6 which often achieves nothing more than creating additional problems for themselves.

Are things also working now with your Mac ?

Hemi345

There seems to be enough confusion about the error message "No hardware found" that RevEd may want to think about explaining more to the user what is going on in this error message in a future revision of PE6. It seems people think the cable is at fault rather than an issue with the PICAXE connected.