axe022 pin hole diameter too small?

john2051

Hi, recently i got two axe022 protoboards, and have had quite a few in the past.
Usually the first thing i do is install 2.54mm header pins to all four ports, and the
pns port. I was quite surprised when i found the pins were far too large!
Seeing as these are through plated holes, therefore drilling them out would cause
problems as i found out.
Have the hole diameters changed for a reason?, because on my older boards i could quite
easily fit molex headers.
Are there similar headers that will fit?
Thanks john

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
That board has not changed for several years.

We have just taken one of the shelf and using our stock CON037 10 pin headers we could insert them.
Yes, they were quite tight, but with a coin or similar (to save the fingers!) they can be pressed into place.

john2051

Hi Technical, this is really strange, I have 10 or so axe022s that I put 8pin headers on without any modifications.
I got some 10pin headers ( to cut 2 off ) for the port connections from Rapid part number 22-0515, and according to
the datasheet they are 2.54mm spaced, and 0.64mm square pins. The only answer is that rapid have changed the part.
Can you tell me if you have the pin size for the part con037 please, because these from rapid wont go in no matter how
hard I push!
Thanks john

john2051

Hi again, I have just tried the ten pin headers I have in an axe022 I bought a year or so ago, and rapids
headers will not fit. So it is the parts that have changed. I suppose it doesn't help them having square pins!
Can you please confirm you can get an 8pin header to fit in the ports.
Thanks John

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
We used our stock CON037 which are 10 way, but could easily be snapped down to 4 or 8 way.
They are tight, but they do fit with a hard push! If you are struggling try 2 lots of 4 side by side rather than 1 lot of 8 in one go.

On the plus side when you turn the board over to solder they don't fall out!

john2051

Hi I have found if i warm up the board with my wifes hair dryer I can get four in a row to go in without
displacing any of the pins. Also i suppose arthritic fingers don't help.
Thanks fo your all your advice,
regards john