Aussie help required

Tricky Dicky

Apologies for this being a non-Picaxe related request but this is the only forum I know that has a significant Aussie contingent.

To the point then. My school is having a World Cup day coinciding with the opening ceremony. The students will be involved in a number of world cup related activities as part of their normal lessons. Each class and staff member has been alocated a country to represent. I think you can see where this is going! I have been alocated Australia and so have all the classes I will have. To try to make things as authentic as possible we would like the pupils to "talk Australian" and I am asking if anyone can help me out with some common Australian expressions the kids can use. Please keep them them clean and translations where neccesary.

Thanks in anticipation.
Richard

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Isn't the opening ceremony today ? That leaves little time for for a crash-course review of Home and Away, Prisoner Cell Block H or the Crocodile Dundee / Paul Hogan franchise. Perhaps just stick to the stereotypical basics -

G'day
G'Day Cobber ( hello friend )
All males are called "Bruce"
All females are called "Shiela"
Bonzer ( great )
Fair dinkums
Crikey! ( expression of surprise )
Dunny ( toilet )
It's in the Ute ( utility vehicle )
Your team has Buckley's ( has no chance )
Chuck me a tinnie ( throw me a canned drink )
I couldn't give a XXXX for the world cup :)

Last edited:

manuka

Mate-you pommy jokers will never do it in a day! Even as a Kiwi I have to mentally shift gear whenever Trans-Tasman. Speaking like the Oz. locals is a state of mind-you have to live there some years before appreciating the dialect, especially the female version. Hint- ensure no Aussies lurk within earshot before letting fly, as such colourful expressions as "map of Tasmania" may land you in trouble.

However -perhaps check the classic => Monty Python Philospher's Song - then try your "strine"

Last edited:

Dippy

I thought most UK kiddies outside London had an Aussie accent anyway.
After all they and their parents were brought up on Neighbours and Home & Away.
If you're really stuck just go to London and kidnap 50 barstaff. You'll find a high percentage will be from down under. :)

Tricky Dicky

Thanks guys for all the pointers and I have managed to put together a bit of a phrase book of slang terms suitable for those of a tender age. Got my official Aussie footie shirt today so I am all set for the morning. The day should be bonzer.

G'day Cobbers
(Just getting in some practice)

Richard

manuka

FWIW- "Tricky Dicky" itself is/was commonly used down under to mean the Dick Smith Electronics (DSE) retail chain.

moxhamj

Re manuka Mate-you pommy jokers will never do it in a day! Even as a Kiwi I have to mentally shift gear whenever Trans-Tasman. Speaking like the Oz. locals is a state of mind-you have to live there some years before appreciating the dialect, especially the female version. Hint- ensure no Aussies lurk within earshot before letting fly, as such colourful expressions as "map of Tasmania" may land you in trouble.

However -perhaps check the classic => Monty Python Philospher's Song - then try your "strine"

If you are having an "Australian" day, don't forget the long tradition and fine art of paying out the New Zealanders: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdVHZwI8pcA

(This video was made by two Australians, and was on TV last night)