AT17LV010 serial memory

John West

I've come across several Atmel AT17LV010 1 Mbit serial EEPROM's and was wondering if any of the more experienced PICAXE users would know if they can be used with a 20X2? The data sheet indicates they are used for configuring FPGA's.

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc4265.pdf

I'm not sure I have enough experience with the PICAXE 20X2 as yet to determine if these chips can be made to work together - even with a careful read of the data sheets. Some advice from those more experienced than I would be most appreciated. I hate to see 1 Mbit serial memory chips go to waste. Tnx.

westaust55

From a quick glance at the datasheet it should be possible to conenct these chips to a PICAXE for use.
While the more usual 24LCxxx series folks here use are i2c comms type those AT17LV010 chips may need some SPI based or bit-bashed code.

They are 3/3.3V rated.
Seems need only 2 wire to read but may need a 3rd wire/pin to control the SER_EN pin for programming/writing to the EEPROM and maybe more for chip enable control if more than one used.

But for normal use with random access to any desired memory location that is not possible.
On reset those AT17LV010 chips reset the the clock signal increments the adress counter so data can only be read out from the start one memory location at a time.

Thus possible to interface to a PICAXE but likely not very useful unless you need a lot of data in a fixed sequence.

John West

I was getting the notion that there was a difference in the way data was handled. But it wasn't clear to me what that implied. I may still be able to use them in a limited fashion but they are certainly not as useful as random access 24LCXX types. Tnx.