ASCII coding scheme used? (upper 128 chars)

kranenborg

Hello,

I am currently developing a PICAXE driver for a small graphical display (48x128). This driver should generate 8x8 character fonts as well from ascii. The coding for the first 128 characters is clear, but what about characters 128 - 255; how are they coded in the PICAXE implementation? Is it ISO 8859-1 ("Latin-1") or something else?

The reason I ask this is that I have to code for Nordic characters (å, ä, etc.) as well ...

Best regards,

Jurjen

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
How do you mean by "how are they coded in the PICAXE implementation?" - There isn't any such implementation I can see. The PICAXE sends raw binary 0-255, the 128-255 map to whatever you want to display. Whatever characters could be shown if those codes were typed into the Programming Editor would depend upon what font were selected.

kranenborg

I got the answer by applying the simulator on the statement LET b1 = "å" which gives the value of 129. So it is Latin-1

/Jurjen

moxhamj

Your graphic display may be different, but if it follows the extended ascii set http://www.asciitable.com/ then å would be 134. But the standard wasn't ever really a standard for the extended set - you might need to just output all the numbers and note how your display shows them.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The PICAXE only ever output a number 0-255, the chip doesn't use fonts.
The Programming Editor software / compilers themselves use the Latin-1 type courier font that is installed on an individuals machine. So this could vary dependant on windows version.
And your LCD will have it own character set. So the safest bet above 127 is to use the numbers themselves e.g. ("hello",134) rather than ("helloå")