ARRL includes PICAXE in new book

fernando_g

Microcontrollers are an incredibly powerful tool to enhance any electronic project, but to many people -like myself- whose skill set doesn't include programming, it was a significant challenge.
The challenge became larger by the need to invest in hardware and software to program the simplest program.......
Then, enter the Picaxe.....it was such a revelation!

Several of the ARRL guys may have faced a similar challenge. They recognize that a microcontroller will be a significant improvement to most projects, but may have found the entry barrier daunting.
Not anymore with a Picaxe.

premelec

If the 555 will do the job you need use it! [very inexpensive and with higher power versions the output will handle high voltage and current that the PICAXE will not... ]. Re-programming the 555 just takes a few capacitors and resistors.... no computer needed... :)

Billo

The 08M2 can act like a 555, but a 555 cannot act like a 08M2. Of course, you could create tube circuits to meet your needs. Well, maybe not too practical anymore.

Yeah, the 555 still has it's place, but you can actually live without it. On the other hand, you have different fingers, as well as a fairly steep learning curve for microcontrollers especially if your not used to thinking procedurally. PICAXE does lessen the steepness substantially though, but my guess is a lot of the older school guy's will never make the change.

srnet

Seems like my sort of book, I would be interested to hear what people think of the contents.

This seems an appropriate place to mention that I have just completed the PICAXE code that uses a RFM22 to transmit FSK RTTY data, numbers or ASCII text, as a GPS NMEA checksummed string. The reason for this is that you can cut and past the decoded PC screen data such as;

$50SAT,,,1,25,,83,255,58,255,13,255,255,40,5165,*5E

Into one of the online NMEA checksum checkers.

The same routine could transmit GPS co-ordinates too.

The effective range, using a decent comms receiver, ought to be enough to get data back from low earth orbit.

If anyone one is interested in the code, I would post it.

MFB

Please post your code and anything else you have time to tell us about your satellite project. Thanks.

srnet

I will strip out the stuff specific to the particular project (call signs and the like) and post it as a generic 'beacon' over in the projects area.

I'm happy to see that the ARRL has officially recognized PICAXE's existence in a new book: http://www.arrl.org/shop/Ham-Radio-for-Arduino-and-PICAXE/

Has anyone seen this book yet? I'd be interested in a review... tks...
This book is reviewed in the May issue of the RSGB's Rad Com magazine. There are 18 projects described in the book but it seems that only 3 are PICAXE based, the others being for the Arduino amd ATtiny. The book is available from the RSGB for £27.99 or £23.79 to members.

The PICAXE did receive some publicity in the ARRL's QEX magazine (Jan/Feb 13 issue) - I wrote an article about a project that used a PICAXE as the contoller and I emphasised that it was very easy to program. I hope that some readers may investigate further and give the PICAXE a try.

Richard G3OTK

John West

Well done, Richard. The PICAXE seems to me to be the ideal choice for amateur radio projects, as it doesn't take an expert in assembly code or C to read the code created by others and see what it's doing and modify it for individual tastes. While some radio amateurs are hard core code hackers, the vast majority are just dabbling in micro-controllers for their radio related projects, so the PICAXE is a perfect fit.

premelec

Thanks Richard... perhaps we can write an addendum which converts some of the 15 non-PICAXE projects to PICAXEs! - I ordered a copy as they sent me a $10. birthday credit and I wanted to show there's interest... [they charge high on shipping it was still $26 - I'm 77 shortly and definitely recommend PICAXEs for casual users like myself]. I've been annoyed in the past where ham projects appeared and the code was not disclosed and you'd have to buy the programmed PIC from the author. 73! AJ0J