Anything particular with B.0 on a 40X2 ?

pjrebordao

I'm trying to detect an on/off switch on pin B.0 using the following code:

init:
input B.0
main:
if pinB.0 = 0 then
sertxd("L",13,10)
else
sertxd("H",13,10)
endif
pause 300
goto main
end

I have B.0 grounded with a 1K resistor. The switch closes the circuit from B.0 to 5V, through a 1K resistor.
Running the code above, always shows the pin as being High, right from the start. However if I use another pin (say B.3), the code and circuit behave as expected.
Any clues ?

westaust55

No immediate point springs to mind.
Can you post a schematic and photo showing exactly how the hardware is connected.

srnet

Some input pins do have slight different logic switching levels, though I have not checked if b.0 is one of these.

However if you want to be sure to have a pin to read logic high, pull it up to 5V, not 2.5V. Assuming of course that the PICAXE supply voltage is 5V.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
As srnet suggests it's probably because you have a 1K pull-up and a 1K pull-down. Make the pull-down 10K and that should solve the issue.

Having a pull-up and pull-down is not common practice; see "PICAXE Manual 3 - Interface Circuits" for details of wiring a switch.

BeanieBots

It's some other (probably wiring) fault.
If the input is always HIGH, then the potential divider action cannot be the cause because although it will be a problem, the result will be always LOW.
Suggest you post a picture of your setup

pjrebordao

Yes, being always HIGH, lead me to it.
It was a wiring fault, although not my own...
I'm using a Picaxe 28/40 protoboard and... pins B.0 and B.1 of the chip socket were left unconnected. Had to wire in 2 small jumpers.