Anyone Using Si5351A I2C 25MHZ Clock DDS Board 8KHz - 160MHz?

premelec

I'm seeing articles about using the Si5351A breakout board as general multi signal source in conjunction with ARDUIxx units and wonder if someone here has used this unit with PICAXE? I2C controled... It's inexpensive and a bit complicated... and versatile - a main drawback being square wave output - so need for filtering overtones...

Buzby

I've not seen this device before, but a bit of Googling got me the datasheet.

It seems to be a programmable frequency source, with multiple non-related outputs, and lots of other clever features.

As its I2C controlled I can't see any problem using it with a Picaxe, except the question - what for ?.

To make it easy to configure Silabs supposedly have a tool that generates text files which can be ported to whatever language you are using, but I got a 404 when I tried the link. ( The datasheet says the tool runs on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7, which is all they had in 2011. )

Regarding overtones, will the spread spectrum capabilities of this chip help there ?.

Cheers,

Buzby

premelec

Mainly I've seen ham radio stuff but also general SDR [Software Defined Receiver] and specialized low power beacon using WSPR modulation - very narrow band slow FSK... for BFO VFO etc and perhaps with a few flip flops down into the audio range to make strange synthesized sounds... If you plug the part # into youtube you'll find various items - Thanks for looking... ;-0