Another single motor robot toy

Rick100

I've built another single motor robot toy that can be controlled by a Picaxe 08M2 and an IR remote. It uses the same board as my previous design. It will move forward or spin on its axis for steering. When the motor is run in the forward direction both wheels rotate in the same direction for forward movement. When the motor is run in reverse the wheels rotate in opposite directions for the spin action. PWM is used to control the speed with both functions. The UP, DOWN, and CENTER buttons control forward, spin, and stop. The 0 - 9 buttons control the speed. The cam switch that the 3 function robot had is not needed on this version.
The steering mechanism is based on a design by thang010146. Here is a link do his video:
Steering mechanism

The bot can also be driven by 2 SPDT switches instead of a microcontroller. I show that in the video.

I've included 2 files:

IR_motor_for_rev.bas is the main program for driving the bot

ir_test.bas receives the ir commands and sends them to the terminal in case your having trouble getting the ir remote set up

links:

Github Wiki for Picaxe version:

EasyEda link for Picaxe version of board:

Thingiverse linkfor stl files and details:
Thingiverse link

Prusaprinters link for stl filesand details:
PrusaPrinters link

Attachments

Last edited:

erco

Just pure loveliness, Rick! I really like your robots. Getting multiple functions out of one motor is a real a challenge and you made the most of that mechanism!

Rick100

Just pure loveliness, Rick! I really like your robots. Getting multiple functions out of one motor is a real a challenge and you made the most of that mechanism!
Thanks Erco. I've been working on a more advanced single motor design. Maybe I'll finish it someday.