Another PICAXE in N&V Mag

xstamp

The August edition of Nuts & Volts has another PICAXE article. This time the subject is a compact and low power Flight Recorder for model rockets. However, the opposition is fighting back with an article about the Basic atom.

Tom2000

For those of us who don't subscribe, could you please summarize the article?

I could see them incorporating a barometric sensor and an accelerometer, but did they include anything else?

Thanks!

Tom

-------------

Fernando Alonso is street trash, and doesn't deserve his seat in F1.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Quite unreasonably IMO, in Elektor's Bumper Summer Edition article <i>Which Brain for my Robot? </i> PICAXE, BasicX and ZBasic do not got a mention.

To add insult to injury, the 'tavernier-c' site listed doesn't even appear to be a manufacturer of 'brain' modules.

<A href='http://www.elektor.com/magazines/2007/july-august/which-brain-for-my-robot.197645.lynkx' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>

Edited by - hippy on 04/08/2007 18:49:39

xstamp

It is difficult to understand why Elektor did not include Rev Ed in its list of &#8216;robot brain&#8217; producers, because it ran a PICAXE based article back in February. In contrast, Nuts &amp; Volts are giving increasing coverage to this product and should be encouraged.

Their August issue features Part 1 of a Flight Recorder article that includes an introduction to model rocketry, plus a description of the circuitry. It concludes by promising to give an example of sensor interfacing (3-axis accelerometer) embedded software listing and the details of post-flight data export to Excel in Part 2.

Borders Book Shop seems to be the only high street source of N&amp;V in the UK.

leftyretro

&quot;However, the opposition is fighting back with an article about the Basic atom.&quot;

Competetion is always good for the consumer. I was very impressed with the Basic atom product after checking their web site out. They seem to have a very mature and powerful basic and their SX &quot;interuppter chips&quot; are very 'Picaxe' in funtionality. At $20 (for 28 and 40 pin models) they are a little more pricey but again their compiler seems a little more mature and seems to have more functions like optional floating point math. Their PC interface isn't as simple as the Picaxe but does the same downloading function without requiring a programmer.Might be worth checking out first hand.....

Lefty

manuka

I've voiced concerns before about Elektor's &quot;oversights&quot;,especially since their level now seems semi prof. &amp; their credibility high. However the solution is really in the hands of you Europeans. Almost any periodical will accept (&amp; pay for) unsolicited material, ESPECIALLY if it's written with flair &amp; has lucid photos.

I'd pen something myself, but my &quot;up top&quot; cultural insights are not perhaps -ahem- refined enough for the Elektor target audience. Naturally an article writer needs to be alert to readers experiences,sense of humour,technical skills &amp; parts availability. In spite of having spent most of my life &quot;down under&quot; I'm only just keeping up with the Oz./NZ approach! Stan