An occasional keyboard?

cpedw

I have an idea for a project to make a Calendar/Clock/Diary. It would use the MSF radio clock (already got that working in other projects) but the problem is a keyboard. Something small and discrete is needed, probably not normally connected to the project. I have this USB Wireless keyboard in use elsewhere and I like it but USB is no good for Picaxe.

PS2 keyboards are hard to find, especially at small size and wireless. Does anyone know different?

Or is there another way I might achieve text input to a Picaxe without a full size keyboard? I did wonder about a smartphone interface but that is well outside my knowledge base. Any lateral thinkers or previous solutions out there?

Thanks,
Derek

Buzby

I did wonder about a smartphone interface but that is well outside my knowledge base.
Hi Derek,

If you can understand serial comms, ( which I expect you can because of the MSF clock ), then you will have no problem with a Bluetooth module and a smartphone.

The BT module appears to PICAXE as a serial port, and a simple terminal app on the phone sends characters for the PICAXE to process.

There are many BT modules available ( HC-04 is what I used ), but I'm not sure of more modern offerings.

As an even simpler smartphone interface, check out my post here : https://picaxeforum.co.uk/threads/demo-controlling-a-picaxe-by-using-morse-code-from-smartphone-app.29552/

Cheers,

Buzby

cpedw

Thanks for those suggestions. I am particularly drawn to the Morse code scheme as it needs only an extra LDR, and is so quaintly retro. I had to learn Morse code for a sailing exam about 30 years ago. Never used it since.

Derek

papaof2

For another retro option - and also small - the Palm devices used serial comms and there were wired and wireless (SIR - simple IR) keyboards for them. If they're not rare enough to be collector's items, they should be cheap to free. I know where my Palm Zire 31 is (on charge, so I can use the password encryption/storage program I wrote long, long ago) but not sure about the keyboard I used back then :-(

erco

PS2 keyboards are hard to find...
You had me going for a second there... IMO the M2 series' ability to read a wired keyboard directly is one of its neatest features. I have used that in various projects. You've convinced me to grab a few at the next swap meet. They are stacked high in bins for just a few bucks each.

steliosm

There is the option also to use a USB keyboard that has the ability to fall-back to PS/2 mode. You can connect those keyboard either using a female USB connector on your board or using a combination of a PS/2 port an a PS/2-to-USB adaptor. IchigoJam is using those type of keyboards.

eclectic

Gawd memories

Might help?

e