Alternator regulator

ybpoor

Hi,
I'm looking for a design of an alternaor regulator circuit using a PICAXE chip for charging deep cycle batteries. Whilst I could start from scratch I've no intention to reinvent the wheel.

Michael 2727

Go to the Auto wreckers and buy a 90A - 120A car alternator and drive
it via a V-Belt/Pulley from a mains powered motor, auto alternators have
a perfectly good regulator built-in.
Then you can make a Picaxe Voltage monitor, Current monitor, cutout etc.

gengis

Why not start from scratch? This seems trivial. After all, they do it with only two transistors in automobiles.

Is the alternator an excited field type or PM type? Did you want something fancy like temperature monitoring of ambient and batteries, current limiting as well as voltage, a particular charge profile?

An auto regulator just tries to keep the voltage constant at ~14 volts, some will include a way to kick the voltage up a little as ambient temperature drops. The field is usually excited via the idiot light when starting, then a trio of diodes driven from the output windings when the alternator is up to speed. No real current limiting as a rule - except when the output of the alternator is over loaded it tends to drop voltage and the excitation current drops too.

Dippy

Flooby has shown that you will need to find out more specifics of the alternator.
Also what size? (As in ooomph factor). Fifty watts, 100 megawatts?

Somebody may have done something similar, but unless you tell us then any suggestion may not be appropriate.

So, you're designing a wind generator/charger? Or water-wheel genny?

Have you tried a 'search' on the Forum? Remember, if someone (e.g. a resident expert) has done this they may be on holiday for a month and a lack of response may frustrate your plans.

Have you tried an Internet search? You may be able to PICAXE-ify a similar project, therefore you may only need to repaint the spokes on the invented wheel.

I take it you want a schematic diagram and all the code?

ybpoor

Go to the Auto wreckers and buy a 90A - 120A car alternator and drive
it via a V-Belt/Pulley from a mains powered motor, auto alternators have
a perfectly good regulator built-in.
Then you can make a Picaxe Voltage monitor, Current monitor, cutout etc.
Perfectly good built in auto regulators are next to useless for adequately charging deep cycle batteries. What I'm trying to do is build a 3 stage charger from an alternator. The alternator will be driven by an engine within a narrow RPM range. There are commercial regulators available but they tend to be way overpriced for their functionality.