Alternative to FR-4 PCBs

Jim-TX

First, I apologize if this is posted in the incorrect forum. I scanned the other forums, and could not figure out where to put this. Hopefully, this forum is acceptable.

In another thread, there was a discussion about getting a design made using home-etched PCBs. Other methods were also discussed.

I would like to offer yet another method of getting a design made, and it can be as simple as using cardboard as a base material.

Years ago, I was looking to make a quick-n-easy one-off build - to test whether or not I could make an LED light - in a large 18" x 24" (or so) picture frame. My goal was to make it using a self-adhesive strip LED light - cutting the strip into three or four strips, and putting them in parallel onto the cardboard. I decided to join the four strips with wire, but did not want to use actual wire.

What I wound up using is made by 3M. It is 1/4" wide copper 'tape'. It is usually used in hobbies, or wider versions of this tape is used for EMI shielding.

I placed this tape on the cardboard, and connected the LED strips together. I then soldered the ends of the tape to the LED strips. This tape takes solder very well. You just need to be careful and not let it get too hot - or it might affect the cardboard.

The end result was my LED strips attached together, and I also placed a 2.1mm socket on the end - which I connected to a 2.1mm plug that is wired to my 12-volt battery system. This was several years ago. The LED light is mounted on the wall like a picture and is still working to this day.

To make a long story even longer - it is possible to make quick-n-easy PCBs - using just 1/4" copper tape. I realize the 1/4" tape is 250mils, and is probably wider than what is usually needed for most layouts, but it can either be cut in half or used as-is.

It is great for SMT layouts. If you mess it up, all you need to do is rip up the tape and place a new line of tape.

Well... that's all I have on this. I know there are a lot of other ways to accomplish the same thing - including etching your own PCBs - but this method keeps you away from all the nasty chemicals.

Regards,

James Jackson

Moved from Sandbox 020420 e

Last edited by a moderator:

julianE

First, I apologize if this is posted in the incorrect forum. I scanned the other forums, and could not figure out where to put this. Hopefully, this forum is acceptable.

In another thread, there was a discussion about getting a design made using home-etched PCBs. Other methods were also discussed.

I would like to offer yet another method of getting a design made, and it can be as simple as using cardboard as a base material.

Years ago, I was looking to make a quick-n-easy one-off build - to test whether or not I could make an LED light - in a large 18" x 24" (or so) picture frame. My goal was to make it using a self-adhesive strip LED light - cutting the strip into three or four strips, and putting them in parallel onto the cardboard. I decided to join the four strips with wire, but did not want to use actual wire.
I have used the tape and cardboard method to make circuits, with some clever bending you can make a battery holder and switches. It works well for simple circuits, you got me trying to make a transistor led flasher it's taking me a lot longer than anticipated. I also have a conductive pen I mean to try.