After-market USB to Com Cable-Problem.

Snowghost

hey guys,
new to the forums,
trying to get back into programing n such

so this is the cable ive got:
http://www.tech-top.com/product_detail.php?product_id=4
with the winxp drivers (As i have winxp)

when going to program i get normal Error - Hardware not found on COM 3

i know my programing board, 08Mchip, psu, orignal 3pin-COM cable, and program itself are fine, from tests on old computer.

and i bleave the adapter cable is working(according to windows) but have no other testing device.

is there something very simple i am missing?
do i need a third party driver?
or do i have a cable with the wrong chipset?

hope this is simple lol.
thanks very much

Snowy

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

According to the XP Drivers file it's a PL2303 Prolific chipset so it should work. Likely to be a drivers problem ( see Forum Search ). You could try installing the official Rev-Ed drivers.

KMoffett

Check and see what COM port your Serial-USB driver is set to. On the install, mine (different brand) it defaulted to COM Port 8. Go to Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>Ports(COM&LPT) It should indicate the Port #. Set the Programming Editor to that: View>Options>Serial Port.

This might not be it, but it's worth a shot. ;)

Ken

Snowghost

thanks hippy

ok so chipset is good *tick*
i also suspect a driver issue:

interesting note, when uninstalling the orignal driver for this cable, it refured to it as the "2000 driver" not XP (somethings fisshy)

download the driver for the rev-ed addaptor cable (wd_pl2303_v2007_2KXP_logged). this has given me a new error:

Error - memory verification failed. (Byte 255)
with its list of possible errors (if not filmier i will post a SS)

thanks Ken

i tested that out, tried on both com ports 1 and 3. 3 is defntaly the new one,
and with the rev-ed driver, i get the normal Error - Hardware not found on COM 1, when trying com 1.

i guess i will try other drivers?
the orignal cable driver but the vista one (long shot)
and the rev-ed usb-headphone jack (also long shot i think)

thanks for ya help thus far

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Error - memory verification failed. (Byte 255)

That sounds like you have the correct drivers installed; try a View -> Options -> Mode -> Firmware? test to see if the Programming Editor can identify the PICAXE and its firmware version.

Memory verification errors are often related to having the wrong voltage for the PICAXE power suply; which PICAXE type are you using, what type of power supply are you using, and what's the actual supply voltage ? If using batteries, try with fresh batteries.

Snowghost

other drivers failed.

we shall then say the rev-ed adapter cable (wd_pl2303_v2007_2KXP_logged) is correct.

firmware tests show me "firmware version 9.2. (PICAXE-08M firmware version 2)"

i am using a battery pack, fresh form yesterday. now at 4.42V (very cheep meter)

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I think it's reasonable to assume the drivers are now working as expected and communications are established to the PICAXE and generally working.

The cable is a 9-way D; what are you using to connect it to the PICAXE ( AXE025 - 3-pin molex, AXE026 - 3.5mm jack, other ? ), and what PICAXE hardware / board are you using - Rev-Ed board, homebuilt, PCB or breadboard ?

If I'm right in guessing you are using the same cable which worked with your other PC it may be worth checking you can still download to this board with the same cables and batteries on that PC. That will determine if it is a board / hardware issue or a problem with the USB configuration.