advice on digital vs. analogue servos please

BrendanP

I'm getting some servos from servo city. I see they have digital and analogue units.

From my reading of the picaxe coms. manual it appears that the servo command can be used with both.

Can anyone advise on the pros and cons of the two types of servos? I want to use them to actuate a pan/tili mechanism with a small ( sub matchbox size) CMOS camera mounted on it.

BeanieBots

Wish I had time to reply to this.
I DO NOT agree with the explanation given in that article.
I'll try to respond later if nobody else does.

Andrew Cowan

I'll just add one point - an analogue servo with a load on it (say a camera) will hum at a lowish frequency - a digital servo (at least the ones I have) have a much higher pitched whine as they self correct more frequently. I've used analogue servos over digital ones in some applications - they are less annoying.

BeanieBots

OK, a little more time now.

An analogue servo reads in a position demand (pulse width) every 20mS (50Hz) and uses that to determine where the servo should be. The "error" (actual position vs current position) is calculated (using an analogue method) by a pulse amplifier to derive a motor drive.
Hence, drive is only available when there are pulses present and updates to motor torgue can only be made every 20mS.

In a digital servo, there is "intelligence" within the servo.
How much, depends on the exact model of servo chosen.
Typical benefits include:-
The ability to hold postion even when no pulses present.
(this can either be last good position or some predefined 'safe' position.)
Many digital servo offer the ability to 'program' parameters such as maximum speed. (you don't always want a servo to move very fast).

The existing servo signal standard (1mS to 2mS every 20mS) has been around longer than I have. Models have come a long way since then and trying to fly a helicopter at 150MPH upside down 2" from the ground requires a fast response to avoid tears. An update every 20mS is no longer fast enough. SOME digital servos will accept an update rate of several 100 kHz which gives a much faster response to position demand changes.

A word of caution:
Some servos are advertised as digital but offer ZERO advantages over analogue. Whenever buying a servo, read the spec.

As with HiFi, would you prefer a cheap digital CD player over a quality analogue vinyl record deck?

BrendanP

Thanks guys.

I have this coming from servo city.
http://www.servocity.com/html/spt50_sub-micro_pan___tilt.html

I have ordered a couple of poverty pack HS-50 servos to use with it:
http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-50_ultra-micro__feather_.html

In your opinion BB would I get a big improvement in performance by using the higher end HS-5055MG ?
http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-5055mg_servo.html

I am using the servos/pan tilt to actuate a cmos camera so slow smooth panning and tilting would be good.

If I go digital and use the pre programming feature that some offer is there any problem/sw issues with then going on and using the servo with picaxe commands?

Andrew, lets skype soon and talk this over.

BeanieBots

It should be possible to use any digital servo in place of an analogue one but not always the other way round.
Be aware of resolution on both the PICAXE and any digital servo. (movement steps).
Metal gears will be more durable but they tend to be noisier (vibration) and have more backlash than plastic gears.
Plastic gears can be 'springy' but metal gears can be 'clunky'.

I don't have any first hand experience of that particular servo so I'm not qualified to comment over and above the general advice given.

IMHO you will NOT see much (if any) improvement by using that servo FOR YOUR APPLICATION.
The extra cost is for features that don't matter to you. (failsafe positions, sweep angle, direction of rotation etc)
The digital resolution can NEVER be as good as analogue but the PICAXE signal is a low resolution digital source anyway so that's irrellevant anyway.

Last edited:

inglewoodpete

.... and trying to fly a helicopter at 150MPH upside down 2" from the ground requires a fast response to avoid tears.
BB: Err, forgive my ignorance but did you say that tongue-in-cheek or is something like that acheivable? Not that I have a desire to try it.

BeanieBots

BB: Err, forgive my ignorance but did you say that tongue-in-cheek or is something like that acheivable? Not that I have a desire to try it.
Get yourself to a show and see it "in the flesh":D
That's why I get so tense when people use RC transmitters for illegal uses.
Kit like that is very expense and more to the point, very dangerous.
BTW, I'm not in that league,(yet;))

Dippy

I hope they use an Automotive rated power supply and have done the full mission critical risk analysis :)