advice on a new laptop

johnlong

Hi All
Looking at getting a new laptop due to the old one falling apart
what should I be looking for to run the following packages
need it be said editor 6
designspark PCB and mechanical, nextion editor, eagle, inkscape, bCNC (requires python,json), pulse view, salee logic 123, flatcam, univeral g code sender, microsoft office
any help on drive type and size, processor speed, ect more than welcome
regards
john

lbenson

Don't know what's available in the UK, or exactly what you're looking for in the weight and size category.

In the U.S., I've bought refurbished--two Dell Latitude E6430s--several years ago and still going strong, for less than $500 each. It's somewhat heavy, but I don't cart it around much. Oldest review I've seen is 2012, so it's far from bleeding edge. Win10, I7-3520M, 2.9gHz, 10GB, (I'd prefer 16, but it's not laggy at all). I have 20 programs open now, 3 browsers with multiple windows and multiple tabs, 5 multiple-tab text editors with maybe 40 files open, PE6 of course. Streams youtube, Netflix, etc. without problems. I replaced the 256GB hard drive with a 1TB one--half full, with everything I've ever had on a computer since 1988--lots of photos and music. I have an SSD in one of them--not vastly different in speed, but a little savings in weight.

This is mainly to show that you don't need the latest and greatest to have a very powerful laptop. What costs most is weight reduction--if the lightest possible is what you're looking for, expect to pay.

papaof2

I have a Dell E6430 with Win 10 - not new but certainly handles all I've thrown at it - big spreadsheets (10-12 pages), 300,000 word novels (I've become an author in my old age), browsing, Youtube video, online video meetings. Bought one (i5-3349M, 8GB RAM) on Ebay for $150US delivered last week - no HDD or OS but I would have replaced the HDD with an SSD and I have avalable copies of XP, Win 7 and Win 10.

inglewoodpete

The criteria I used for my current laptop, purchased just over a year ago, was the following, in priority order:
Screen Resolution: FullHD - 1920 x 1280
Processor: Minimum Intel i5 or AMD equivalent. My son tells me that, currently, the AMD is ahead in performance for dollar.
RAM: 8GB minimum
Hard drive: 256GB SSD
I'm not someone who downloads, edits or streams videos so huge hard drives are not a priority. Space on laptop screens is always a priority, so FullHD (or better) for a good resolution is my highest priority.

Oh yes - one other point. The laptop I bought has its power switch right alongside a USD jack. All too often, I accidently turn the laptop off/hibernate while removing my mouse or programming cable! Most annoying and something to watch for.

Circuit

I recently upgraded for similar reasons. First message is that you should not be afraid of moving to USB-C /Thunderbolt 3 ports. I opted for an ASUS ZenBook; i7; 500GB SSD; 4K screen; 16GB RAM and so forth ...and no USB2/3 ports - just 3 USB-C ports. I connect to a lot of uncommon devices; three laser cutters, CAD-CAM dragblade cutters, Micromites, ARM processor boards and so forth - as well as PICAXE. The computer came with a small Thunderbolt to USB3/HDMI etc. adaptor but there are plenty more that are available. These mean that I can connect all the peripherals up to a hub adaptor and then just replug the single Thunderbolt connector to my laptop as I move around. So far, everything works splendidly.

Note that new computers with Windows 10 often have Microsoft limitations on installing uncommon drivers and that I had to go around the houses somewhat to unlock things to enable installation of some of the laser drivers and so forth, but I was able to achieve full operability on most stuff.

If you are looking for a real whizzer, then have a look at the Zenbook Pro Duo. This toy has two screens; a 4K screen in the usual place and a second, half-height touch screen between the keyboard and the hinge - I am so tempted to buy this new toy...really really shiny!

kfjl

After the thesis, the anti-thesis.

My everyday computer is a Packard Bell EasyNote LE with an AMD dual core processor E1-1200. It has a 17.3" screen and 4GB DDR3 ram.

I have Arch linux and Ubuntu dual booting on it.

Old peripherals like my Agfa snapscan e20 still work with it as did my regretted Star LC10 printer.

It is SILENT.

My kids have computers that sound like jet engines.

The only time I notice my computer is slow is when I write stuff in "Open Office" with pages containing photos, or when I use my on-line banque.

When I buy a new computer, it will be powered by an AMD RYZEN.

It won't be noisy.

It will have a comfortable screen.

erco

Linus recommended this Walmart laptop, but the latest version ain't $250 anymore. https://www.walmart.com/ip/MOTILE-14-Performance-Laptop-FHD-AMD-Ryzen-3-Radeon-Vega-Graphics-THX-Spatial-Audio-Tuned-display-4GB-RAM-128GB-SSD-HDMI-Front-720P-HD-IR-Camera-Rose/708573214

TTYTT I'm with lbenson: I use older laptops, and several of them for teaching Picaxe. Most of mine are cheap Toshibas, ebay grabs for $25-$80. The Picaxe editor will run on ANYTHING, not demanding at all. I have one laptop just for solidworks, an $80 Toshiba AMD A10 with 16GB.

eclectic

Buy three.

1. A cheap refurbished machine, to use in the workshop
where dangers might lurk. Easy to replace.

2. A medium-priced workhorse, to use in the office.

3. A shiny one. Because it's shiny. : -)

I am almost serious, having travelled similar paths
with cameras and power-tools.

e

Last edited:

papaof2

My workhorse machine I built several years a go, with a then very fast 3GHz quad core processor. It's still the workhorse, just not the equivalent of some of the shiny, new machines.

I still use the Dell D620/D630 series laptops (yes, ancient) for my writing because I like the screen and find the keyboard acceptable (I find the 16x9 screens just don't leave enough room for text that my 70+ year old eyes are happy with). A laptop with a screen that pivoted 90 degrees to have a portrait mode might make me happy ;-)

erco

Here's a pic of about 1/3 of my cheap Toshiba laptops I use for teaching. I have lots more! These are CL45s, CL15Ts, and L15Ws, most are $40-50 on ebay. PERFECT for teaching Picaxe classes (video), where providing identical hardware (cable too) avoids many problems.

Attachments

johnlong

Hi
All thank to all for your input secondhand Dells in the UK seem to still hold good money anywhere from £190 to £800 for an 8 year to 2 year old one
the Toshibas seem alot cheeper mind field will have to spend the weekend trawling through fleabay but this time after the comments I will be able to
consentrate on a more refined search. The HP laptop I purchased new with vista on it got the dreaded blue screen this advent has lasted longer but is
just splitting open all over the place one day I will lift it up and will be left with just a handful of wires and chips haha
regards john

manuka

Here's a pic of about 1/3 of my cheap Toshiba laptops I use for teaching. I have lots more! These are CL45s, CL15Ts, and L15Ws, most are $40-50 on ebay. PERFECT for teaching Picaxe classes (video), where providing identical hardware (cable too) avoids many problems.

Good man Erco ! During my PICAXE teaching era (2003- ~2013) I'd also a great swag of similar Toshiba laptops. However smaller 10" screen netbook style HP 110-3672 minis were faster, better featured & easier to handle at "tidy up time". Before retiring I gathered several ($50 range or gifted ) -schools here in NZ used them extensively pre the current tablet take over. Stan.

Last edited:

johnlong

Hi All
after a day of ummimg and aarring finaly setalled on the following on fleabay
Dell Latitude E5550 i5-5200U 2.2GHz 8GB 256SSD 15.6 FHD HD Graphic 5500 Win10Pro
I will say was quite smitten on the panasonic toughbook it was only the small screen sizes that put my old eyes off but may revisit them for the workshop if I could find a 14" at the right money or lottery win which ever comes firstohn
thanks for all your assistance and comments
regards j

johnlong

Hi All
from the new laptop must say the old gall is fast and has a good solid feel too its construction considering its thin and light it is
very bright and clear screeen
just the game of transfering things over not overally impressed with wins 10 seems a bit mobile phoneish
but will persiver with it
once again thanks to all for your input

mrburnette

johnlong,
looks like you hit a sweet-spot with the i5, 8G RAM, and 250 SSD. I never buy new since retired as PC is no longer tax-deductible. Here in the U.S. I have found some great deals through non-profit refurbishes. My $329 Microsoft Surface Pro 3 was class "A" and my $260 HP Pro X2 was in very good condition ... both worth $100 over what I paid IMO. Just the W10Pro license is valued around $100.

Many of the refurbish organizations here provide 90 day warranties, the company I used https://interconnection.org
offers a 1-year warranty which is outstanding.

Congrats on saving a good PC from the e-waste scrap pile.

Ray

erco

from the new laptop must say the old gall is fast and has a good solid feel too its construction considering its thin and light it is
very bright and clear screeen
Glad to hear you found a good one. I have bought 2 Dell laptops and they are ROCK SOLID (built like brick outhouses) compared to my main fleet of cheap Toshibas.