ADC Bit Rate

Lord Grezington

Hello again Boffins

I have noticed from the M2 chips that the best possible resolution is only 8 bit from the ADC, I would prefer a speed control that could perhaps go up to 10 bit. Is there any possible way i can change the resolution from an 8 bit ADC input to a 10 bit (or anything better than 255)? (a colleague from work says its possible to do it using more than one ADC, is this possible, if yes, how???)

Thanks in advance

Lord Grezington

fernando_g

From manual 2:

readadc10
Syntax:
READADC10 channel,wordvariable
- channel is a variable/constant specifying the input pin
- wordvariable receives the data word read.
Function:
Read the ADC channel (10 bit resolution) contents into wordvariable.

inglewoodpete

I have noticed from the M2 chips that the best possible resolution is only 8 bit from the ADC, I would prefer a speed control that could perhaps go up to 10 bit. Is there any possible way i can change the resolution from an 8 bit ADC input to a 10 bit (or anything better than 255)? (a colleague from work says its possible to do it using more than one ADC, is this possible, if yes, how???)
I just checked my manual (Version v7.7 05/2011) and it only shows ReadADC10 as being available on the M2 series of chips. Not correct.

Edit: Not correct, not correct IP!! That was the ReadDAC command that I was reading.

Time for a correction of the manual? Unless, of course I'm behind with my manual.

Last edited:

Paix

I picked up the READDAC command briefly - something to do with the size of the print in the pdf index and my eyesight/distance from screen.

@InglewoodPete, time for a manual part 2 update methinks.
G220.png

premelec

@Paix - the manual IP cites is the most recent version - perhaps they do corrections without changing versions - Mine shows M & M2 versions OK for READADC10.... I wish there was some better way of keeping up with what's the latest - but then this is the modern era of instant obsolescence!

inglewoodpete

I picked up the READDAC command briefly - something to do with the size of the print in the pdf index and my eyesight/distance from screen.

@InglewoodPete, time for a manual part 2 update methinks.
View attachment 8765
The manal was OK but it's time to clean my spectacles:eek:!! The ReadDAC is a new command and my specs were seeing what they wanted to see.