A quick thank you and Merry Christmas

nbw

A very quick note while it's in my head - thank you to the PICAXE creators, moderators, and folk in the Forum. PICAXE as a whole has been a fun part of my life for the past few years and the support from all corners is always great.

And, Merry Christmas from (sunny) New Zealand!

Dippy

And a Happy Christmas to you too.

And a Happy Christmas to everyone.
And if someone goes all wimpy and PC and says Happy Holiday instead then I hope your Christmas Tree drops all its needles by the 22nd :)

I'm partially retiring after Christmas as some poor Company has decided that I'm a good at something and made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
Sadly, this will reduce the number of Real World Insults on this Forum.
But don't worry, I'll be looking in from time to time to make sure the place hasn't gone too Nanny.

Ironically, this new position involves electronics and vehicles - sorry Hippy :eek:

Anyway, have a lovely Christmas and New Year.
Be brave, read Data Sheets, read them again, get some breadboard, leave Dad's car alone, print out copies of Stan's pictures and don't mention lasers ...

Lordy, if I told you about a contract for lasers I nearly got you'd have a fit... I'd have been getting a suntan in the Gulf of Aden as we speak.

Good luck all. It's been fun :) :)

inglewoodpete

I'm partially retiring after Christmas as some poor Company has decided that I'm a good at something and made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
I can't profess to understand what you're saying (retiring at 41?) but good luck with your new venture.

Be brave, read Data Sheets, read them again, get some breadboard, leave Dad's car alone, print out copies of Stan's pictures and don't mention lasers ...

Lordy, if I told you about a contract for lasers I nearly got you'd have a fit... I'd have been getting a suntan in the Gulf of Aden as we speak.
Dippy, you're going soft. Not a mention of MOSFETs in your Christmas message! (or, for that matter, PICAXE ;))

....and a happy Christmas to all who celebrate it. May Santa bring you lots of PICAXEs and other compatible components.

manuka

Ah-I think Dippy means "retiring" from this forum! Good luck mate - trust it's not Toyota just getting you to fix their e-car floor mats?

BeanieBots

Dippy, please ensure that you leave a selection of insults so that we can maintain the tradition in a consistent manner.

We wouldn't want to loose (sorry my bad:- lose) that cool dude take on things! Awesome!

Andrew Cowan

Possibly you could set up an auto-responder type thing - so if a post mentions, for example, FETs, you give your standard response. I can think of quite a few keywords for various of your responses ;).

A

fritz42_male

Hmmm - a Dippy Autoresponder - certainly shouldn't be too hard!

Good luck mate and stay tuned - we like to know what's happening.

westaust55

Dippy, please ensure that you leave a selection of insults so that we can maintain the tradition in a consistent manner.

We wouldn't want to loose (sorry my bad:- lose) that cool dude take on things! Awesome!
Maybe as a departing Christmas Gift, Dippy can leave us with one of those random phrase generators set up with a full suite of Dippy-isms. Don’t forget to write the tutorial on how to use it Dippy. ;)

knight

Possibly you could set up an auto-responder type thing - so if a post mentions, for example, FETs, you give your standard response. I can think of quite a few keywords for various of your responses ;).

A
But of course it would have to be powered by a picaxe

Merry Christmas all!

papaof2

An X2 PICAXE, with background serial in/out and I2C for EEPROM access to check the keyword list and retrieve the proper response(s) for each keyword.

keyword response

car: danger, insurance

mains: danger, insurance

John

Andrew Cowan

An X2 PICAXE, with background serial in/out and I2C for EEPROM access to check the keyword list and retrieve the proper response(s) for each keyword.

keyword response

car: danger, insurance

mains: danger, insurance

John
FET: driver

manie: smoke

LED: hot, driver, constant current

china OR ebay: quality, I use farnell, warranty, fake, overrated

A

JoeFromOzarks

Well, I'll tell you, I'll surely miss Dippy!

Where else could a mid-USA college grad like myself get such an education! (grin)

Just a couple of Dippy's quotes for your reading pleasure:

Code:
-flabber is gasted 
-Crafty monkey 
-chums
-dross
-punters
-b-anal bits 
-little jamsters 
-blooming generous 
-saving a fiver 
-plonk it 
-quid
-duff

-But I guess it impresses the girls.
-Very much horses for courses... 
-'what happens if it conks?'
-When you want to whizz to the bit in your long code then just click. Bingo.
-Some subject material should be entertaining, but I think I'll give it a miss for now.
-'yawning predictability' 
-You can bet your house on it.
-"I've heard" .... I heard the Titanic was unsinkable 
-you have to put your wallet where your mouth is.  
-True - it's a pity the Tutorials have died a death.
-A bit like My First Pony.
-adolescent crescendo.
-Another load of borrox!
-Keep the Kleenex on standby.
-I thought Rigol was a planet that Captain Kirk once visited? (Oh, Rigel. That's it.)
-phone-the-mugger-up option 
-I couldn't remember the name as my anorak has gone missing.
-I want to go to a business premises and shove it..
-This could be the End of the World.    
-Utter crap. Coventry is 200 miles from me...
-I bet your gloves are attached by elastic to the sleeves too   
-Just accept that this will never happen and get on with enjoying the day.

-warranty is so good that if it's dicky then chuck it back and you'll get a refund (probably carriage free) as long as you don't take the pi$$.
-To help us it really makes life easier for us lot if you provided a sketch of your desired project, rather than a long unspaced paragraph.
-Cold shower mate and a good long walk should calm you down.
-Yes, we tie troublesome adolescents to the orange things and drag them through the river.
-The bullets are made from frozen Acne cream so that the method of assassination is harder to detect.
-BTW: Am I safe to buy a PC with Windows 7 yet?
Thanks Dippy!

Merry Christmas, to one and all!!

:) joe

And a Happy Christmas to you too.

And a Happy Christmas to everyone.
And if someone goes all wimpy and PC and says Happy Holiday instead then I hope your Christmas Tree drops all its needles by the 22nd :)

Sadly, this will reduce the number of Real World Insults on this Forum.
But don't worry, I'll be looking in from time to time to make sure the place hasn't gone too Nanny.

Ironically, this new position involves electronics and vehicles - sorry Hippy

Anyway, have a lovely Christmas and New Year.

Good luck all. It's been fun

Andrew Cowan

Great summary of Dippyisms. I've just noticed the colours menu in the quick reply box - is this new, or have I changed a setting somewhere?

A