A PICAXE powered Electric Bike

vk6bgn

A PICAXE powered E-Bike. It uses a PICAXE-08M and a hall effect throttle. The throttle I am not a fan of but in my frugal nature they are cheap. Seems they only convince the PICAXE to generate an ADC value somewhere roughly between 15 and 900. Seems to me that a potentiometer type throttle may be the best choice?

It's Here

The Good:
1) Nice and extremely smooth acceleration. Good torque too!
2) Top speed about 15mph. But the rear 88 tooth sprocket is to be changed out to a 55 tooth for a bit more speed.
3) The controller doesn't even get warm and the motor only gets slightly warm after a 1.5 km. ride.

The Bad:
1) Hall effect throttle. (possibly a better quality Hall Effect throttle would work better?)
2) It sits to low the ground!

What's in it:
1) 24 volt, 500 watt, 27amp, 2400 RPM, PMDC motor
2) two 12volt, 26Ah batteries
3) a PICAXE-08M (PWM pulsing at 250Hz.)
4) Hall Effect throttle
5) two 30volt @100 amp packaged Mosfets. One for the drive and one for dynamic braking. (dynamic braking not currently used)
6) 60Amp motor rated fuse
7) 120 amp battery isolation switch
8) 60 amp rated main motor control relay
9) White LEDs in the front and red LEDs in the back for a night time ride.

BeanieBots

Nice project, looks very well constructed.
Looking forward to the schematic, esp. as so many seem to have issues with driving FETs.

What's the black box with "LEACH" written on it?

vk6bgn

..... the item that says LEACH on it is the top of a contactor. The label on it says "24 - 28 VDC continuous duty with contact rating @ 60amps". I think it is ex military. Just something I had in the junk box for the last 20 years and decided to finally use it.

nbw

Ham, that is awesome! I was thinking of doing a similar (kind of) thing for my 5 year old - albeit prob a simple skateboard device he can sit on. I hope to use a smaller battery and motor than yours - his machine will prob carry less overall weight.

Good job!

vk6bgn

Thanks for the comments NBW,

I'm sure your 5 year old son plus the project weight will be significantly less then my weight alone! ;)