802.1g downloading - Sayonara download cable

jmumby

Not one to claim premature success (I haven't tried it yet) but I have been playing around with a lantronix WiPort which has two com ports. One port I am using for sniffing and the other is spare which judging by the COM>TCP option in the programmer could be used for 802.1b/g downloading. No more download cable for me!

Let the bubble bursting commence.

Dippy

Coooooooool. Keep it up. I'm not going to burst any bubbles. I hope it works. If it doesn't will you burst your own bubble? :)

(What is he talking about?)

steliosm

I thing the TCP->COM in the programmer needs to have 2 copies of the programming running. The one copy is the the one you are using to progam the chip and the other is running on the remote computer which you communicate with through a TCP network. Also, the second computer will have to have a serial connection with the PICAXE chips.

jmumby

I can't get the TCP->COM to work on either of my PC's. Random lock ups and nasty messages. Maybe there is a third party software that will create a virtual port and winsock connection.

steliosm

No, the Programming Editor supports this function natively. Remember that you need to have 2 pcs running the Programming Editor and one of the Pcs needs to have a serial connection with the chip.

jmumby

Using this http://www.taltech.com/products/tcpcom.html program I created a virtual com port which technically is transparent to the program editor and it just see's it as another hardware com port. I could telnet to and from the virtual com port but when I connect the picaxe the WiPort crashes

Ohhhhh so close. Pop.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
There's an issue with any Virtual Serial Port to TCP interface in that to be totally transparent it has to be able to detect a serial 'break' and carry that over the TCP link. This is outside the normal byte data carried so it either isn't or a more complex protocol has to be used, and in that case the recipient of the TCP has to understand what that protocol is.

Whatever is running in your WiPort would need to understand the protocol and reconstruct the 'break' and other serial data to effect a download. I expect that it either won't or the TAL tech VSP-to-TCP won't be using the same TCP protocol it would accept.

I've proof-of-concepted serial port to serial port over TCP carrying 'break' and have downloaded into a remote PICAXE miles away but that was too complex to be practical and wouldn't help with a WiPort instead of a PC at the receiving end. It was really my home-grown version of the COM->TCP option now included in the Programming Editor.