5.5.6 Editor patch not working for me

premelec

I tried running the 5.5.6 patch in my program files editor place and it comes up with a screen that says 5.5.6 [with the usual look to it] but stalls out there. Editor doesn't come up - XP SP2 system. No error messages... 5.5.5 still runs ok when I do a few 3 finger dances to get rid of the stalled screen. I tried several deletes, uninstalls re-installs etc... Probably my life will be full of PICAXE joy with only 5.5.5! But I wonder what's the prob...

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
If 5.5.5 runs there is no reason we know of why 5.5.6 shouldn't run, so please ensure it is unzipped in the correct location, also make sure your antivirus is happy with the file.
5.5.6 is really only a couple of very minor simulation fixes.

nick12ab

You did overwrite the old version with the new version, right?
Code:
Upgrade Patch for Programming Editor.

Convert 5.5.5 to 5.5.5

Version 5.5.5 *must* already be installed for this patch to work.
See revision.txt for reason for patch revision.

Upgrade Procedure.
Copy the replacement file(s) below into the correct folders, overwriting the file of the same name.

Replacement Files:

1) Folder c:\Program Files\Programming Editor\
   progedit.exe
   revision.txt
Don't forget that on a 64-bit system Programming Editor will be in the Program Files (x86) folder.

westaust55

The instructions In the read me file advise to copy into the PE folder to overwrite the earlier Progedit.exe file.
You don't execute/run the patch file to upgrade.

Edit: as nick12ab also stated

premelec

Thanks all - I fixed it by disabling the old progedit.exe file which for some reason wasn't being replaced... whatever works :)