tarzan

4x4 ROV http://picaxe.multiply.com/photos/album/1/4x4_ROV

Target Environment:
Indoors & Outdoors
Sensors / Input Devices:
A/V Camera (2.4 GHz)
6 Ultrasonic Range Finders (SRF004)
4 Digital Temperature Sensors (DS18B20)
433 MHz Single Chip RF Transceiver (RF-NRF401)
Control Method:
PC VBA via radio link (433MHz) 2x 28X Picaxe (PIC16F873A)
CPU Type:
4x 28X Picaxe (PIC16F873A) Master & 3x Slaves
Programming Language:
Picaxe Basic
Time to build:
Six months
Locomotion Method:
4x Wheels each driven by its own stepper motor
(4x4 rubber tires)
Actuators / Output Devices:
4 stepper motors (Drive wheels)
Futaba Servo S3003 (Camera)
Speech Synthesizer (SPE030)
2x16 line LCD display with backlight
piezo noise maker
Power Source:
7.2 Amp 12V Battery
Operating System:
Picaxe Bootstrap Basic Interpreter
Weight:
7 Kilograms
Cost to build:
Estimate $1,500 NZ

Last edited:

tarzan

Excel VBA GUI

I constructed it in Excel VBA with the help of some forum members (Hippy & others) way back when I knew nothing.:eek: To get serial communications working I used NETCommOCX.

Would you have the forum thread?,

As I'd like to see I can make a interface for a picaxe (well the ONLY picaxe I have :D ). I have a little experience Access Visual Basic...

Last edited:

higgeh

would be interested to see your vba code as i would like to understand how you did it. Im working on a similar concept but im a bit stuck when it comes to interfacing with the pc. Must say tho im highly impressed with what you have done

EJB

How to use Excel VBA to program Picaxe

I would like to know more about how you used VBA to program the Picaxe. Are there web sites or other information you can share. I'm pretty good with Excel and VBA but just getting started with Picaxe.

Thank you, Ed

dartec

Fantastic, Tarzan. I am veyr interested in robotics, but looking at Lego etc they just seam to 'move' around. I want to do something like a 'mars rover' that will feedback gps, temp, humidity and video link etc from it's location. Plus try to drive it remotely via pc over Xbee.

Your design has shown what is possible. Would appricaite any notes because I was thinking of sealed lead-acid battery and stronger motors/wheels.

At present it's an idea and searching the net for help in what can be done & pro's & con's.

Cheers
Ray

tarzan

Hi dartec

Sealed lead acid batteries are cheap, don’t like deep discharge cycles and need recharging after use thus not suitable for high end robotic development. If you plan on making a serious robot “mars rover” I would advice using a more capable power source. If price were of no concern I would go for Li-Po battery, Li-ion battery or a cheaper option Ni-MH battery.

slimplynth

Very cool Dartec, well done ;) For people in the UK its always worth following the fire alarm servicing engineer at work, the subcontractors come in once a year and replace the 12V 7AHrs SLA batteries, fire regs probably prohibit their recharging, I've got 3 at the minute. They tend to be left to collect dust. (Ask before you take though ;))