40x2 inputs/outputs

sodeaf

Hey Guys..

I have been using logicator to program a bunch on 18M2's with great success. I have a larger project coming up and I just received my 40X2 chips. When Logicator loads up it give you 15 input and 8 outputs. I understand that logicator cannot change these in the menu. It has to be done in basic. But is there a way in basic to right a couple lines of code and program the chip in a different configuration so when I load up logicator it will see this change and configure the panel in that manner? Or is this something I would have to do in a basic entry in logicator every time.

Thanks

Steve

I know I should learn basic.. but logicator just makes life so easy!

Tricky Dicky

You can change input pins to outputs in Logicator using the Basic cell using the Dirs command to set the pins and the Let Pins command to produce outputs. Unfortunetly that does not alter the configuration of the Digital Panel which is what I presume you are refering to. This therefore means you cannot simulate those input pins set to outputs.

The 08M is the only Picaxe with configurable pins where you can set the pattern of input and output pins and accurately simulate the programming. Perhaps with so many Picaxes having configurable pins future versions of Logicator could extend the ability to set the pattern of inputs and outputs similarly to 08M (hint Technical)

Richard

sodeaf

Hey Tricky.. thanks for the input..
Yeah I guess you never know if in the future this will change? I spend most of my spare time reading on the forum and trying new things in basic. And for little stuff I can manage and it generally works out. But logicator, although it is a learning tool it makes things understandable and simple. I have been programming in ladder logic (PLC) for years now,and I find a lot of similarities. I would almost think that programming platforms like Logicator would be the new standard? It makes it simple.. isn't that what everyone in life is trying to do? Make peoples everyday life simple? A year ago I never would have thought I could be able to program a little 18 pin chip and use it in a practical application, but with logicator it was it made possible. I learned a ton regarding all the components needed to make it all work. I really enjoy it, and my hat is off to the guys involved. Thank You.. I look forward to future versions of the program. I will always keep learning basic... light just take a few more years..

Take care..

nick12ab

I would almost think that programming platforms like Logicator would be the new standard? It makes it simple.. isn't that what everyone in life is trying to do?
"It makes it simple" - no it doesn't. See the attachment here for an example why. Whilst Logicator is simple for simple programs when you don't understand code, it becomes difficult to follow when writing bigger programs.

Flowcharts are two-dimensional whereas code is one-dimensional which might sound like a bonus for Logicator but it means that many attributes of a command cannot be shown because there is no room for it. As a result, to view more details about a flowchart command you have to double click a cell to see them whereas in code you can see this straight away.

Flowchart:

Code:

As an example, let's say you're using a serial OLED and you've made a mistake. From the beginning of the program, you just see a corrupted mess on the OLED. If you're using code then you can easily see what the problem is - in this case it would be that the set baud rate is wrong. In Logicator, you fix the problem in the first cell but the issue continues to happen. You then find that you've set it wrong for all 103 LCD/serout cells in your program. You would then have to manually change every one, or do a find-and-replace in the converted BASIC code every time you wanted to program. But in BASIC code you only have to do a find-and-replace once.

In addition to that, if you need to scan over an entire program, in code you only need to scroll down once but with a flowchart, you need to scroll down, scroll up, scroll right a bit and then scroll down again repeatedly to see the entire program (indicated by scrollbars in the images). This becomes a real problem when you go to print out hardcopies of work.

Last edited:

sodeaf

Well I guess you have a good point... But as of right now Logicator is doing the trick. I will continue to try and learn code, which all and all it's not that difficult once you start playing around. I guess the toughest thing to learn is all the abbreviations. In Logicator you have simple labeled commands . "outputs" "decision" where as in basic you would use something different. I appreciate your input, I know once I start using Basic, I will look back on these days and say.. Man what was I thinking..

Take Care..