3 PHASE

TEZARM

Hi Guys. Look, I know this is completely nothing to do with Picaxes but does anyone know where I can find some diagrams on how to hook up 3 phase mains voltage. I need to wire up my hoist into a new building and have googled around but not found anything useful at all. Need info concentrating on NZ or Australia 3 phase so the colours make sense to me. And before you all say, DANGER, HIGH VOLTAGE, Yes, I know, I will turn the power
off first at switchboard. Any help on this would be appreciated as I am running out of time quickly. Deadline, next week. Thanks alot.

andrewpro

Sorry..misunderstood question with last response.

Does the hoist not have a color code associated with it's wiring? As I understand it, it should be a 4 conductor, with the phases being brown, light blue, and black, with a green/yellow earthing wire.

If theres no color code on the motor, perhaps the phase doens't matter, in which case I would jsut put them in some order, probably the order above.

I googled and read some of the aus/NZ electrical codes, but didn't find anyhitng particularly useful as far as diagrams. One question, though...according to the standards I read, a licensed electrician needs to isntall it and supply a certificate of compliance when your dealing with three phase wiring to be compliant with the code, unless this is a replacement for an existing instalation, in which case it counts as a repair and no new certificate of compliance is required. I dont mean any offense if you are a lciensed electrician, but just a heads up kinda note.

--Andy P

--Andy P

Edited by - andypro on 11/23/2005 1:12:39 PM

bobrayner

In this part of the world I think the phase colours are Red, White (orYellow) and Blue with Green/Yellow earth. 4 core + earth has a black neutral.
Star connected motors have the neutral, Delta connected motors do not. Some motors provide for both connection methods. If the motor runs in reverse swap the connections to TWO of the phases.
YOU REALLY SHOULD GET AN ELECTRICIAN TO MAKE THIS CONNECTION. If you run the cable yourself It should not be too expensive. Also if you happen to have an incident like a fire or something caused by this device and the insurance company finds out a non licensed person has done this work you will be wiped like the proverbial rag (insurance companies do not like parting with money)
cheers BobR

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Just for info, the UK adopted harmonised EU colour coding for three phase cabling in 2004, and the old colours cannot be used in new installations after March 2006. The harmonised colours are ...

L1 - Brown
L2 - Black
L3 - Grey
N - Blue

TEZARM

Thanks all. Between all your replies you have solved my problems. Really appreciated, and sorry For the delay in reply.
Andy. Yes the whole certificate of compliance thing you speak of is exactly correct the way you have explained. However the people we are using to install our hoist are absolutely useless and never want to turn up to wire the bloody thing up so we can't use it? Don't know why. Anyway, because they have mucked around so much and we move in to new building in 3 days with a hoist that won't work than I am forced to wire it up myself. Without the hoist we cannot get anything done. As far as the certificate of compliance goes, well, when (IF) the electrician ever turns up than he will have to check out my wiring job or redo it himself to make it certified. I know, What a hassle. If you need something done on time these days you have to do it yourself it seems. He has had 3 weeks to wire this up and has never bothered to turn up???

andrewpro

I totally feel your pain! When I first moved into my new house I brought a gas stove with me, but everyhting here was set-up for electric. It's illegal for me to install a gas line because I'm not a certified plumber, and all the plumbers either wanted too much money, or wouldn't do gas to begin with. So I finally find a guy to do it, and after two weeks, he's still nowhere to be found. Feeding three kids with microwaved food every day is a pain so I went to the hardware store, got the stuff I needed, and did it myself.

I've been remodeling houses since I could walk, and was confident I knew what Iw as doing, but not being a licensed plumber, I technically wasn't allowed to do it. As far as I'm concerned..they can kiss my you know what! hehe.

Andy P

evanh

Sounds like NZ. Everyone's too busy with commercial/industrial customers to worry about residential.

Evan

TEZARM

That story you tell brings back memories andy.
Actually that kind of thing happens to me every day. I now try and do absolutely everything and anything to do with anything and everything myself now. A perfect example is, I am absolutely hopeless on a sewing machine. I love customising the interiors of cars. I have tried so many different car upholsterers in New Zealand and they basically all suck. I have come to the conclusion that there are no good Upholsterers in New Zealand at all anymore so have decided to teach myself how to sew next year so I can do it myself from now on. I don't have the time to do it of course but it's a lot less frustrating then giving it to someone else to stuff up once again. My god, the stories I could tell you about my problems I have had with Upholsterers. I'm sick of them and never again will I even bother with them. This is a laugh for you though. The Electrician finally turned up today, he wired up the hoist and it didn't work properly. He rang the guy who serviced the hoist and told him he had stuffed up something. So the service guy comes out and is going over it trying to figure out why it wouldn't work. I myself am looking at the wiring job he has just done and it occurred to me that he had wired it back to front causing a safety solenoid to lock motor operation up. I told him I think you have wired the 3 phase round the wrong way. OOP'S I have to he said. Phew, it really does pay a professional to come in and do the job properly doesn't it. NOT. I will do it myself next time.

Michael 2727

A friend of mine had problems with their
Gas Central heating.
The guy came out and said the control PCB had blown and a new one was $300.00 AUD.
The friend asked me to have a look at it.
I eventually worked out that the M205 Fuse
was lose, and every time a relay kicked in
it shook the fuse which reset the whole thing.
In fact the fuse holder had a 1mm chunk of the fuse
body welded to it, there was a 1mm hole in
the fuse end cap. Was a 240V 2A fuse.
Their unit must have been cutting in and out
a hundred times a day for years.

These days where everybody needs a specific licence for
this, that, and everything else it seems you almost need
a rocket scientist to get a tap washer changed.

Edited by - Michael 2727 on 11/28/2005 11:49:30 AM

BeanieBots

Far from it. You get somebody who has "attended a course" but slept all the way through it. Now they are armed with a certificate liscensing them to kill!

I guess it does help to reduce the amount of down and outright dangerous cowboys out there.

Edited by - beaniebots on 11/28/2005 1:10:10 PM

wildbill

conversation back to picaxe !!
i enjoyed the above stories, and like you guys, i fix everything myself, due to others being so incompotent (that's incompotent if and when they turn up). my nissan micra started coughing, speeding up and slowing down, turns out it was the mass air flow sensor on the throttle body that was at fault. nissan say that it's a sealed unit and is not servicable, a new unit is around £400 gbp, so a scout round the www and this guy in aus says that it can be repaired, he has clear photos and details on the web, the job took around 20 mins to repair (break seal, solder three joints, re-seal) and has worked perfectly since then. you get it ?? that's right, the money i saved i can spend more on picaxe stuff, whoopee !!!

Just one more story...

New buildings have their structures and electrical and plumbing services inspected and certified by local authorities after the tradespeople have finished construction. Right?

When we moved into our brand-new rental apartment in Sydney last year, we found that the shower drains wouldn't drain becasuse the tilers had filled them with grout and concrete.

Then we found when it rains water gushes down all the bedroom walls - and it the same for about 20 of our terraced neighbours too. There are no membranes on the patio areas.

And to top it off, we found that there was a gas leak in the kitchen because the stove was connected to the gas mains with electrical tape.

Hmmm...........

BarryP

I've been in the industry for 28 years.
There is no guarantee when connecting up 3Ph rotational gear that it will go in the correct direction. You do your best to get it right first time, but it's ALLWAYS a gamble.Even checking ph rotation of the supply will only cut the odds to 80..90%.
The Big issue here , That also relates to Picaxe experimenters, Is Understanding the Hardware BEFORE applying Power.