28X1 and OWOUT problems

lampmaker

Hi,
I have problems with OWOUT and picaxe 28x1 chips. Whenever OWOUT is called, the chip pretty much resets istself.

Readtemp has no issues.

Below is the code and output from sertxd
Code:
SERtxd  ("START-readtemp",13,10) 

readtemp 1, b0
PAUSE 750
SERtxd  ("T1=",#b0,13,10) 
pause 100

main:
  sertxd ("Main Loop",13,10)
  owout 1, %1001, ($CC,$44) 
  sertxd ("ouwout sent. Waiting",13,10) 
  pause 750
  sertxd ("Wait over",13,10) 
  owout 1,%0001,($CC,$BE) 
  owin 1, %0000, (b0,b1)  '			

goto main

======= Terminal window: -=============
START-readtemp
T1=21
Main Loop
1START-readtemp
T1=21
Main Loop
1START-readtemp
T1=21
Main Loop
=======

as you can see, the program never reaches the "owout sent" line. Another intersting thing is that the OWOUT outputs a "1" to the serial port. I have a LCD connected as well, that also receives data at that time. Though it shouldnt!

Any ideas? I thought the chip was busted, but replaced it with another one without any success.

I run everything on a picaxe experimenter board, so connections should be solid and clean.

inglewoodpete

I don't know the answer but I can anticipate the first question that hippy or Technical are going to ask.

To save time, can you supply the firmware revision? Eg A.?

lampmaker

Tried a couple of other things:

readtemp12 - works without problems
tried a few other 28x1 chips (I always have a few spares) - same thing

I'm lost. The very weird thing is, it used to work before. Perhaps I used a different version of the programming editor? I'll try to find an older one.

I checked whether the board is faulty, or the power supply is bad. Both are good. Besides, readtemp12 pretty much does the same thing as the Owout/owin commands I'm sending, and I have no problems with readtemp12.

Reason for using the owout/owin is that I'd rather not have my program sit idle for 750 ms while waiting for the temperature data.

lampmaker

It's a bug in Programming Editor 5.23.

I had an older version, installed that and everything works as it should.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Many thanks for taking the time to investigate the problem.

Last edited: