28/40 Proto Board

MartinM57

Took the plunge and decided to do a PICAXE project for the first time, so ordered teh above plus a PICAXE 40X last Friday. Received it today, assembled and tested it, and downloaded my first ever program. Worked first time! Excellent....

The query is on the solder pads to extend the proto board to other components/PCBs. On the top side of the proto board they are silver coated, but underneath all the areas around and over these pads are covered in some sort of dry insulating material. The same is true for the V+ and 0V power supply extension pads

It appears, therefore, that you can only solder to the top side of the board, meaning that you have to sort-of 'surface mount'any components or leads to other boards. This is difficult to do and you might as well have no holes in the board if you can't solder on the underneath...

Which wrong end of the stick have I got please?

MartinM57

Thanks Rick - I've just investigated it further and each area just peels off if you raise a corner first ;-)

Still not sure why its there - maybe it does just insulate the expansion areas so they're protected from short circuits in case you don't use them. It's not mentioned in the 'manual' that comes with it....

Thanks again!

Edited by - MartinM57 on 4/12/2005 9:38:58 PM

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The peelable resist layer is there to protect the pads from
1) solder when the board is mass produced via wave soldering
2) impurities, oxidisation etc prior to hand soldering.

Simply peel it off before soldering!