24LC16B Hex dump with picaxe

vk6kci

Hi all,

Is it easy to dump the contents of an Intel Hex file onto an 24LC16B serial eeprom? and if so, can anyone point me in the right direction.

I need to program an 24LC16B but don't own a suitable serial programmer other than the picaxe USB programming cable with all the associated picaxe devices.

It seem entirely possible to me..... being simply a case of using an I2C compatible picaxe and then serially loading it with the data out of the hex file. But..... without a lot of research, I don't know how to go about it!

Does anyone know and/or are ther routines already written to do that?

Looking forward to your replies.

Kind regards
Maarten
vk6kci

westaust55

I have written code to write to external 24LCxxx series EEROMs. See:
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=74067

You need to have the hex file in a format and location the the PICAXE can read/access.

what form/media do you have the hex file in/on at present?

I am more familiar with other hex listing formats (Motorola/MOS Technology).
A google search finds plenty of information on the Intel Hex file format.

Last edited:

vk6kci

The Hex file I am using is really a text file in Intel hex format

i.e.

:10000000FF1C0102000000FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFDB

Comprising of:
:
Record length
Address
Record type
Data
Checksum

This file works for most programming software like ICprog etc.

Regards
M.

westaust55

I feel it is unlikely someone has written a program to do EXACTLY what you want.

I have not tried transferring data from a PC to a PICAXE but think you will need to use the SERRXD command in a PICAXE program to read the data.
See PICAXE manual 2 page 157.

Then you need to write a program (in VB?) for the PC to read the file and send the data to the PICAXE.

Since you are only looking at a maximum of 2 kbytes, it my be worth just typing that data into a PICAXE program as I have done to write to the external EEPROM. You could spend as long developing a program unless your programming skills are good.