20X2 and starter kit

ccdubs

Hi all,

Can the 20X2 chip be programmed using the AXE090 starter kit? If not, can the AXE091 kit do it?

The blurb on the PICAXE site says that both will accomodate any PICAXE chip but the AXE090 doesn't seem to have a 20 pin socket.

Thanks.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The AXE090 "supports all 8,18,28 PICAXE sizes". It has been superseded by AXE091 and AXE091 which "supports all 8,14,20,18,28,40 PICAXE sizes".

MartinM57

Slightly OT - what is the AXE091U? - there is no specific datasheet for it, it's not mentioned in the AXE091 datasheet and the AXE091U picture on the techsupplies site is the same one used for the AXE091...

MartinM57

Well I never saw that bit :D - I guess I was just wanting an AXE091 with an onboard USB connector so that a standard USB cable would be all that is needed. I suppose (hope) that will happen one day...

westaust55

Slightly OT - what is the AXE091U? - there is no specific datasheet for it, it's not mentioned in the AXE091 datasheet and the AXE091U picture on the techsupplies site is the same one used for the AXE091...
The TechSupplies web page indicates what the "U" means

PICAXE Experimenter Kit
AXE090
Superseded by AXE091.

PICAXE Development Kit
AXE091

PICAXE Development Kit (USB)
AXE091U

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I guess I was just wanting an AXE091 with an onboard USB connector so that a standard USB cable would be all that is needed. I suppose (hope) that will happen one day...
Maybe one day.

One issue is in being able to easily switch programming / monitoring connections between the various PICAXE. With the AXE090 and AXE027 it's simply a matter of unplugging the cable and re-inserting into the desired jack socket, and multiple download cables allow multiple connections to be used. To include USB on board there will either need to be one USB interface and some means of switching or multiple USB connectors. Having jack sockets rather than USB also means it's usable with legacy PC serial ports.

Andrew Cowan

I've just come across this great idea - thanks Ec. Using a 14 pin socket as a lifter means I can use most of the I/O pins of the 20X2 with my Axe090.

Thanks again!

A

You can even program the 20X2 using the very simple and cheap AXE118 kit, which is intended for 20M. I have recently finished a 20X2 project that way, however, the AXE118 board doesnt offer u much when it comes to HW-experimenting and breadboarding..

rolfi