20M programming problem

SKL BOI

Hi

Im at school so remember i can't access thing like com port set up due to restrictions on all accounts.

I am trying to download a program to the 20M Picaxe chip and im using the serial port because the stupid school hasen't installed the driver for the USB devise.

It isn't downloading so i checked the voltage and ive got just over 11 Volts!!!

Is this normal as it says on all of the help file etc that it should be between 4.5 and 5V and i know the resistors will limit some of the voltage but its the only thing that i can think of that i haven't come accross before and might be the problem!

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

SKL BOI

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The voltage on the serial cable itself can be up to 15V so 11V is okay. If you measure the voltage at Serial In ( Leg 2 of the PICAXE ) that should be around the 5V mark. If it is 11V there then you do have a problem.

Take a look at PICAXE Manual 1 - Page 41 onwards describe the Hard Reset procedure and a Dowload Check List which may help you move forward.

You can also try programming your 20M on another computer with hardware which is known to be working which can help identify whether it is a chip, hardware or configuration issue.