18M2 and keyin

mhalbern

The PICAXE -18M2 information document (picaxem2.pmd) states that the 18M2 is FULLY backwards compatible with all existing 18 pin PICAXE programs written for older 18 pin PICAXE parts. I am quoting here from the document.

But, it appears that the PC keyboard commands, keyin or kbin are NOT supported at all.

Am I missing something here? Is it just my dumb luck that my programs written and the circuit board designed for the 18X that use keyin are orphaned?

Technical, thank you for a reply.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The datasheet statement was meant to imply with our project boards and does say
Fully backwards compatible with all existing 18 pin PICAXE project boards....
however we do now see how that wording may be confusing with regards to programs. However the last section of the same datasheet already does clearly explain where some older part programs may need slight updating/tweaking.

Due to technical reasons kbin/led could not be supported on the 18M2, but is supported on the 14M2/20M2. However thw 18X is still for sale, so if you really need these commands on a 18 pin device you could still use the 18X.

mhalbern

18X it is

Technical,

OK, I will continue to use the 18X.

That said, is the 18X going to remain available?

Thank you for the reply.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
There is no plan to discontinue the 18X at present. However the newer 18M2 is cheaper and more powerful, so we expect most users to use that instead.

john2051

18m2

Technical
Hi, has the i2c page write proble been sorted, and if so which revisions are compatible?
Thanks, regards John

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Yes, please see 'firmware.txt' which is installed in the Programming Editor folder for all revision details of all parts (obviously make sure your PE is up to date first!)

erco

PicAxe Manual 2, page 133 (kbled command) shows keyboard hookups as:

kb clock to Picaxe input 6
kb data to Picaxe input 7

Two questions. First, are those the same pin connections to use the kbin command? Second, for use with a 20M2, which pins are "input 6 & 7"? A bit vague.

Thanks.

westaust55

PicAxe Manual 2, page 133 (kbled command) shows keyboard hookups as:

kb clock to Picaxe input 6
kb data to Picaxe input 7

Two questions. First, are those the same pin connections to use the kbin command? Second, for use with a 20M2, which pins are "input 6 & 7"? A bit vague.

Thanks.
Have a look at the pin assignments in PICAXE manual 1 (currently V7.7) on page 10

nick12ab

First, are those the same pin connections to use the kbin command? Second, for use with a 20M2, which pins are "input 6 & 7"? A bit vague.
Inputs 6 and 7 are on port C and there's absolutely no reason why the KBLED command would need different pins from the KBIN command as that would mean you would have to change the connections every time you wanted to do something different with the keyboard.