14 m chip coding

pfroment

I am new to this, be kind of my lack of knowledge.. I have been using 14 m2 chips. I picked up some 14 m chips cheap. I noticed the pin outs are different. Is the way I both code and wire a toggle switch to pin 1c the. Same for both chips? Thanks for the input

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The 14M has fixed inputs and outputs, the 14M2 allows more flexible configuration of which pins are used for input or output.

So long as you put your inputs on the left of the chip (C.x pins) and have your outputs from the right of the chip (B.x pins) the wiring and code should be the same for both.

lbenson

... code should be the same for both
Except that you only have 256 bytes on the 14M as opposed to 2K on the 14M2. You can do a lot with 256 bytes, but if you are handling each pin separately, you will probably need more.

inglewoodpete

The 14M has fixed inputs and outputs, the 14M2 allows more flexible configuration of which pins are used for input or output.

So long as you put your inputs on the left of the chip (C.x pins) and have your outputs from the right of the chip (B.x pins) the wiring and code should be the same for both.
That second sentence is not entirely true. Refer to Appendix C of Manual 1 on reconfiguring six of the I/O pins to operate in the opposite direction to what hippy suggest above. While not as sophisticated as the 14M2, the 14M is quite versatile, although lacking in program space.