12 to 6V regulator 15A??

Axel87

I know this maybe out of context, because I will not need a picaxe for this project.
But I thought maybe I could get some help-

Working on converting a old truck from 6V to 12V.
I dont know what the amperage draw is from the blower motor. The truck is at a remote location. so I was looking at designing a regulated supply capable of providing at most 15A at 6V.
Having a hard time locating a schematic that uses common regulators I have in stock, that are capable of that high current rating.
I envision three separate circuits, 2 5A circuits with one 15A. I will fuse them and have an LED before the fuse to indicate a intact fuse.
Not alot on this truck thats needed. Should cover everything.
I am not real familar with paralleling regulators, but is it possible to use multiple 317's to accomplish this?
Does anyone have a schematic handy for this? Or references I can look at to lead me in the right path?
Thanks!

DamonHD

Hi,

1) Paralleling regulators is generally unwise IMHO: unless designed to work that way you will are likely to let out the magic smoke.

2) Use a switching regulator rather than linear regulators else you will be throwing away half your energy as heat unnecessarily.

3) Anything with a motor is likely to need a significantly over-rated supply to start up reliably I suspect.

4) Powerful laptop adaptors with variable output voltages may get you some of what you want, cheaply and reliably.

Rgds

Damon

srnet

So;

This is a road going vehicle ?

You dont know for sure how much current you actually need to provide at 6V ?

Its nothing to do with PICAXEs ?

papaof2

DC-DC buck converter (switching device) is much more efficient than any other device.

For lighting, replace the bulbs with their 12 volt equivalents - or some LED bulbs.

Dump the generator and regulator in favor of a GM internal regulator alternator.

The starter should be replaced by the 12 volt equivalent. Depending on the specific model and year, it may have a separate solenoid or it may be mounted on the starter itself.

For the blower motor, just expand on the original "speed control" which is a large wattage resistor. Just add another of the same type and value in series with the existing one. It's not unusual for that resistor to be mounted in the airflow of the blower to keep it cool.

Axel87

lol
This is an old work truck, just a project.
At most 15A
and no, i dont think Ill need one for this, but still appreciate any help! ;)

Axel87

DC-DC buck converter (switching device) is much more efficient than any other device.

For lighting, replace the bulbs with their 12 volt equivalents - or some LED bulbs.

Dump the generator and regulator in favor of a GM internal regulator alternator.

The starter should be replaced by the 12 volt equivalent. Depending on the specific model and year, it may have a separate solenoid or it may be mounted on the starter itself.

For the blower motor, just expand on the original "speed control" which is a large wattage resistor. Just add another of the same type and value in series with the existing one. It's not unusual for that resistor to be mounted in the airflow of the blower to keep it cool.
Got an altenator swapped in, replaced all the lights. Leaving the starter, no starter solenoid. Interesting idea with the blower motor (Ill look into if this would be viable) , what about for the fuel gauge? The sending unit works off a potentiometer, by increasing the voltage wont this effect the voltage drop? giving false reading?
Thanks for shooting ideas this way!

MPep

what about for the fuel gauge? The sending unit works off a potentiometer, by increasing the voltage wont this effect the voltage drop? giving false reading?
Thanks for shooting ideas this way!
That depends really.
If it is set up as a Wheatstone bridge, then it is all ratio-metric, therefore no problems.

Anything, and you'll probably end up modifying the circuit, or buying something that works.

Good luck.